Fractured Armature shaft on Starter

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bumble the Rumble
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fractured Armature shaft on Starter

Post by Bumble the Rumble »

Hi All,

I have had a hole heap of trouble with my(beloved?) van 1.9 dg 1986, though i finally thought i was good to go...
Just done the first oil change on the van since the rebuild and the oil light stayed on (no buzzer though) then it cut out around a minute later with no alarming noises, went to start it up and just go a click so cleaned up the wires checked the battery all good so popped the started motor off today and it looks to have a fractured armature shaft, i assume a complete new motor is needed. The real concern is why when it hasn't had issues starting before?
I cant help but think the worst and the the engine has seized causing the break.

https://s1378.photobucket.com/user/orig ... sort=3&o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ta for the interest
JM

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Fractured Armature shaft on Starter

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Bumble the Rumble wrote:Hi All,

I have had a hole heap of trouble with my(beloved?) van 1.9 dg 1986, though i finally thought i was good to go...
Just done the first oil change on the van since the rebuild and the oil light stayed on (no buzzer though) then it cut out around a minute later with no alarming noises, went to start it up and just go a click so cleaned up the wires checked the battery all good so popped the started motor off today and it looks to have a fractured armature shaft, i assume a complete new motor is needed. The real concern is why when it hasn't had issues starting before?
I cant help but think the worst and the the engine has seized causing the break.

https://s1378.photobucket.com/user/orig ... sort=3&o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ta for the interest
JM

Bush worn out?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Bumble the Rumble

Not sure yet as i haven't got a tap so haven't tried to get it out, will be getting round to that and ordering a new motor this week. Fingers crossed it will start.

Bumble the Rumble

I got the bush out today (it was a bit worn) and replaced it and fitted the new starter motor and nothing but a single click :/

I got my volt meter to it to check and i was getting a stable 12+ volts form the positive bolt and between 3 and 6 volts from the switch spade and nothing on the connection between the started and solenoid. Im not too sure if thats all how it should be?
I have never heard any unusual nosies when starting so am not thinking its the flywheel broken though i'm running low on ideas atm.

Ta
JM

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Between 3 & 6 volts will not be enough oomph to throw the solenoid. I would replace the ignition switch as first port of call together with cutting the terminal off the wire from the switch to the solenoid and replacing it ( Unless this has already been done and/or you are satisfied that there is no corrosion there as this can cause voltage drop)
You can check if the starter operates by using a wire directly from the battery positive to the spade - it should then operate the solenoid correctly.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Bumble the Rumble

Okay thanks for the suggestion, switch is on order now so shall see how it goes :).