Overheating

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Martinth4
80-90 Mem No: 0

Overheating

Post by Martinth4 »

Hello,

I am new to T25 ownership, it is a 1983 1.6D which seems to have an issue with over heating; I have noticed that the temperature gauge barley moves and the fan does not come on but then it overheats. It has had a new water pump and head gasket carried out by a garage, so perhaps I have a blockage?
I take it that the temperature sender unit for the gauge is located at the bottom of the rad along with the switch for the fan?
Perhaps I could be as simple as the thermostat sticking?

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Overheating

Post by RogerT »

The sender for the gauge is on the engine, can't remember which one it is - there's one on the end of the block and a location on the side of the block too. If you look at syncrosport website you'll find a wiring diagram, the wiki here has loafs of info, and there's a diesel specific manual (Peter Russek) sold by Just Kampers, also available secondhand on the usual websites. Haynes doesn't cover diesel T25s, but the Haynes is good for a lot of other stuff. There's also the Bentley manual, but doesn't cover TD.

Check that your radiator gets hot, that tells you the thermostat works. Your rad may be old and choked with grot? Your water pump may be up the swanee, you might have a leak. Go through it all slowly and methodically. I see this is your first post, and suspect you are at the start of the learning curve, where most of us were when we got our vans.

Why don't you go to general chat, and post a quick Hello and introduce yourself and your van, we're just ordinary people and we appreciate the social niceties, makes more likely to be helpful :wink: :ok
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.