2.1 dj not starting fault diagnosis....

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

2.1 dj not starting fault diagnosis....

Post by spanishfly »

Took my new time warp 2.1 dj syncro for an mot today.

All was going well until it apparently ran out of fuel just before the analyser bit....

Had been in a barn since 2005 although PO had MOT'd it in 2015,16, 17 putting 2000 miles a year on it on a regular basis so well maintained/restored with quality parts.

Rough running to start with but I'd got it sounding smooth and starting on the button no throttle, after earth clean up, temp sensor change and addressing a few vacuum leaks prior to MoT.

Embarassed I rushed off to get a can of premium unleaded albeit a little confused as it hasn't been anywhere yet and I put atleast 10l in........ reluctant to start and wouldn't idle or rev... assumed I'd dragged dirt

through it so removed fuel filter behind shock tower. original Vw that didn't look too bad although mounting collar quite rusty replaced with B/W's best, wrong way round to start with before I used some logic!

Turning over fine but not starting or firing not once.... not even a cough...

Bleed screw in engine bay at T-plug confirms fuel reaching rail, filter full.

Healthy spark at King lead, plugs not checked as didn't have spanner with me.

Fuel pump running, ECU unplugged squirted with electrical contact cleaner and replugged as was AFM plug, ISCU plug on cigar tube and nothing....... Not sure what I could have done/disturbed or could suddenly fail?

A few years ago I had loads of problems and help with a dj that ended up having an intermittent short from an LPG wire which confused everybody but this is unmodified and in really good condition so I'm missing something obvious?????
1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel

Gordo89
80-90 Mem No: 16836

Re: 2.1 dj not starting fault diagnosis....

Post by Gordo89 »

The hall sensor on mine failed a few months back and the engine would crank but wouldn't fire maybe its the same issue?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

does it smell of unburnt fuel, if not check injectors are being opened by ecu, pull a set of plugs and earth king lead so no spark; if no injectors then check ecu earths as injectors are live and flashed to earth by ecu
DJ manual is available as pdf on Syncrosport website

spanishfly

Post by spanishfly »

Thanks Aiden and Gordo89, it did smell of petrol and that manual looks very useful and familiar from my efforts to solve the poor running problems on my first van, knew i'd seen it somewhere before.

The Hall sender idea seems possible as all was good 20 mins before. I really want to avoid leaping to conclusions and changing things that are fine.

I already assumed the fuel gauge was wrong because some fell out of the bottom whilst filling making me think the tank was full when in fact it may be fine but the filler hose perished and the cannister too may have been fine just coincidence it stopped during the MOT. I won't get a chance to test it out for a week or so but am sure I have a couple of hall sender units in the attic somewhere so will wrestle them back from the spiders and try that first.

Thanks again for the support!
1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel

Gordo89
80-90 Mem No: 16836

Post by Gordo89 »

id just done the fuel lines when mine went so initially thought it was fuel, however there was pressure at the T in the engine bay so moved onto the electrical side.

spanishfly

Post by spanishfly »

Feeling quite stupid. Having been through Bentley doing the tests possible single handed finally roped in some assistance for the 2 handed tests.
Spark at king lead but none at plug end. Replaced dizzy cap that showed wear to central carbon contact. No difference.

Didn't have a spare rotor so continued with ECU and Hall sender tests......

To cut a long story short the rotor arm was knackered, new arm now starts fine......... a little knowledge is most definitely a dangerous thing!
1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Was it a rev limiting or standard arm? I ask as I've seen several rev limiter type fail, but never a standard.
NB No need for rev limiting rotor arm as the ECU looks after that already.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran