Idle and running woes / Cornwall mechanic recommendations

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Crisnsatch
80-90 Mem No: 16677

Idle and running woes / Cornwall mechanic recommendations

Post by Crisnsatch »

Hello, can anybody recommend a good, honest, not overpriced and knowledgeable vw mechanic in Cornwall... Preferably West Cornwall please. I have changed the air filter, going to do the fuel filter as well... But the van is being a pain. Sometimes will start, no probs, idle well, sound well but as soon as you touch the throttle or come to a junction after a few hundred yards it will stall and is a git to get going again. Will start straight away but shut down again. Also, sometimes it feels like a blockage, foot flat to floor but going extremely slow, maybe 20mph max. One been running a while, it runs fine and drives well... But if you stop somewhere for a while and start it from hot, it will turn over for ages before firing and will shut down a couple of times. You need to rev the hell out of it to settle down before you can drive off. I would like someone to give it an oil change, tune up and get to the bottom of this issue. I am also going to get a stainless coolant pipe set, as the underseal has started eating away at the rubber ones! Speaking of the idling again, I was going to try and adjust it but my van seems to have a different throttle set up in the engine bay to everything on YouTube? Mine is on a long horizontal spring looking contraption when you look at it? Van is a 1984 1.9 petrol automatic, water cooled. Any help, info or advice for this clueless owner will be very much appreciated. Apologies for any typos... Fat fingers!