Have I overfilled my gearbox?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VeraPedroMariaWang
80-90 Mem No: 16998

Have I overfilled my gearbox?

Post by VeraPedroMariaWang »

Hi,
Yesterday I changed my gearbox oil, i read the wiki which says a manual gearbox takes 4.5 litres of oil. After draining I put the oil into an empty 5ltr can, I got approx 4 litres out so stuck 4 litres in. (Never spilled a drop...I still seemed to get covered in it somehow!) Today I was looking for something on brickwerks web site and noticed on there tech support page that my gearbox takes 3 litres of oil? Which is right? The previous owner had obviously changed the oil and possibly went off the wiki? Am I worrying over nothing and should just forget about it and get on with life or should I take some out? FWIW it changes nice and smooth.
Also I found jacking up the same side of the van as the fill plug really helped getting the oil in.
Autosleeper 1.9dg

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: Have I overfilled my gearbox?

Post by mrhutch »

with the van LEVEL you fill till the oil just weeps from the fill hole surely?

I do it by an old piece of hose, with a funnel on the end, stuffed in the fill hole and then behind the wheel and up to the middle of the van, then just carefully and slowly filling the funnel, allowing for burps.
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

As Hutch says the van really needs to be level when doing an oil change. If i was you for peace of mind I would get it level and remove the drain bung, if you have overfilled it the oil will drain out.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

VeraPedroMariaWang

It was starting to weep out of the fill hole. Van was almost level just raised slightly on the fill side. Thanks for the reply. Think I’m worrying over nothing. :oops:
Autosleeper 1.9dg

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

you are

have fun and drive the beast
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

VeraPedroMariaWang

Thanks for the replies. Understood! Tbh driving the beast is what made me fall in love with these vehicles in the first place! Off for a drive in a bit! Hope everyone has a good Easter break, weather looks promising. :ok
Autosleeper 1.9dg

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

R0B wrote:As Hutch says the van really needs to be level when doing an oil change. If i was you for peace of mind I would get it level and remove the drain bung, if you have overfilled it the oil will drain out.

if you remove the drain plug all the oil will drain out Rob :lol:

a bit overfull will do no harm, if you park nose down you may get a weep from the breather hole so the front of the box will get oily
VW reduced the fill level of the petrol 2wd box for a smoother shift but that exposes the crown and pinion imho so I'd rather have 4 litres in a 2wd box and 4.5 litres in a syncro box, but the only way you can have exactly that volume is to put in measured amount when box is completely empty which will only happen when box is out and has been fully drained or rebuilt, in the van fill to the point when it runs out of the fill hole when it's level, especially important with a Syncro box as there's a 1 way valve in there so if nose up that is closed and it will likely overflow with only 3.5-4 litres in it, I have seen many Syncro boxes with insufficient oil in them either because of that or because garages mistake the published info for 2wd boxes with the less published info for Syncro

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Post by bat »

Aidan wrote: a bit overfull will do no harm, if you park nose down you may get a weep from the breather hole so the front of the box will get oily
VW reduced the fill level of the petrol 2wd box for a smoother shift but that exposes the crown and pinion imho so I'd rather have 4 litres in a 2wd box and 4.5 litres in a syncro box, but the only way you can have exactly that volume is to put in measured amount when box is completely empty which will only happen when box is out and has been fully drained or rebuilt, in the van fill to the point when it runs out of the fill hole when it's level, especially important with a Syncro box as there's a 1 way valve in there so if nose up that is closed and it will likely overflow with only 3.5-4 litres in it, I have seen many Syncro boxes with insufficient oil in them either because of that or because garages mistake the published info for 2wd boxes with the less published info for Syncro

Thanks, Aidan
Have squirrelled that info away for future reference. :D
Regards Gary
Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-70-R16 wheels & tires, & a few other mods
https://www.thebeast.blog 

VeraPedroMariaWang

Thanks for the info handy to know. I got it level and opened the fill plug,was a bit of weeping but soon stopped. All cleaned up now and still nice and smooth.
Autosleeper 1.9dg

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Bugger. i meant the filler plug.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Aidan wrote:
R0B wrote:As Hutch says the van really needs to be level when doing an oil change. If i was you for peace of mind I would get it level and remove the drain bung, if you have overfilled it the oil will drain out.

a bit overfull will do no harm, if you park nose down you may get a weep from the breather hole so the front of the box will get oily
WHS :ok
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Aidan wrote:

WHS :ok
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie