Front Disc - overhaul

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sburch
80-90 Mem No: 0

Front Disc - overhaul

Post by sburch »

Hi folks,

About to undertake overhaul of front brakes primarily to fit new pads and discs, looking for some advice before I get started.

Van is 1982 heritage - havn't touched the brakes in the time I've had the van and not sure when they last they were overhauled but the van appears is in good mechanical condition. So questions...

- don't want to make it a bigger job than is necessary but in doing the pads/discs should I...or is it likely that I might need to refresh other parts at the same time (e.g. calipers, bearings etc).

- advice on where to source parts, generally I'd go to BW's or VWH but JK's do have full kit https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t25-part ... -1984.html - which is about £40-50 cheaper than the equivalent separate parts at BW's so wondered whether any one was willing to offer any impartial advice on merits of the Jk kit.

- by the book a relatively straightfoward job but as ever the case with our 30 yr old vans rarely does that turn out to be the case...what elements of the job might prove problematic, require careful attention...or in plain speak just likely to be a bit of a bast*rd !

- any advisable tools/materials required...beyond the usual I mean.

Assuming all goes well I'll update the post with a worts an all of the job.

Thanks

Stuart
CI T25 '82 Aircooled

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Front Disc - overhaul

Post by R0B »

You will need to replace the bearings when fitting new discs.TBH.Personally i would order the bearings from Brickwerks or VW heritage.Check around for the disk/pads they sell.You might find them cheaper.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

If the brakes havnt been touched for a long time be prepared to renew a few brake lines, solid and flexible to the camper. Check the seals in the caliper around the pistons for cracks etc.
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Might help if you put some pictures up of the discs, but unless they are worn or scored no point in replacing them just for the sake of it.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

sburch

Post by sburch »

Some pics of discs...pretty groved and which definitely look like they've done their turn and more.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29377352@ ... 9788236998
CI T25 '82 Aircooled

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I would be replacing them fella.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

sburch

Post by sburch »

OK so first update before getting started, decided to order parts from folks at Brickwerks influenced by reading in another post that if you ask nicely they would pre-fit the inner bearings which they more than happy to do - could have done but just figured that it was one task less to worry about. Added a couple of pics of new discs ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29377352@ ... 9788236998

On with the job...

Stuart
CI T25 '82 Aircooled

sburch

Post by sburch »

Going OK so far in terms of removal aspect. Small but probably important question re bearings. How far should the grease seal but pushed home ? On the existing discs it has been pushed in down closely against bearings in effect about 3-5mm below lip of disc I wondering if this is too far and actually it should be pushed in flush and level with the lip of the disc with a gap between the bearings allowing some movement. Does it matter, is there a rule of thumb ? Googled around and cant seem to find anything that provides a clear instruction on the right way.
CI T25 '82 Aircooled