Miss fire and service!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JamesB
80-90 Mem No: 0

Miss fire and service!

Post by JamesB »

Hi

new to this forum business as well as looking after something like a T25 - only ever topped up washer fluid on any car I've owned!

So, i have a 1.9 Aircooled (B reg) T25 high top which miss fires! My plan is to give it a service (i'm pretty sure its had very little TLC over the last few years and suspect its not had a regular service in a while) and change anything that might be causing the miss fire (suggestions on how to fix that picked up from other threads) - any thoughts as to whether my plan is well founded or if i should try anything else then all suggestions welcomed!

1 - change the spark plugs (ones i'm looking at are on Just Kampers and are pre gapped to 0.6mm which i think is right??) and remove the metal caps (I've already got come covers as recommended on another post)
2 - change the distributer cap and rotor arm (going to leave the HT cables (right name?) for now just to save a few £££ but figure if they look to be in poor condition i can come back to them)
3 - change the air filter
4 - change the oil and oil filter
5 - change the fuel filter (maybe - depends how brave i'm feeling)
6 - anything else I should do while i'm in there?

If it all goes wrong there's a garage 200 yards down the road!
T25, petrol 1.9

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Miss fire and service!

Post by jrt »

All of the above to start with but i'd change the ht leads or at least check them with a multi meter, mine looked ok but had a break in them when twisted. https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks ... -ht-leads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd also look at changing the fuel lines...known to perish/crack and check all vacuum pipes.
Welcome aboard.
David.
the future is unwritten

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Post by PeteandNikki »

Don’t do it all at the same time!! If you have a problem you’ll not know where to look first, I well remember my Dad’s advice on my first car -1965 1500 cortina, (well it was a long time ago!)

JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Good advice both - will definitely check the HT leads with a DVM, hadn't thought of that.
How easy is it to change fuel lines - sounds like a job where i need to 'call a friend'!
T25, petrol 1.9

jrt

Post by jrt »

It's a fairly straitforward job. You can buy the lines already made up which makes it easier. https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... -0-cu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just take off old one and replace.
David.
the future is unwritten

jrt

Post by jrt »

Loads of info in the wiki at the top of the page^^^^^^^^^^^ http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David.
the future is unwritten

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

You will note that folk recommend Brickwerks over JK...(the latter doesn't have a terribly good repuation, whereas the former is a workshop for T25s run by a T25 guru. And he doesn't sell what he doesn't use. Yes may be a bit more £££ but sometimes its but cheap, buy twice)

and as for service items...

leads
plugs
cap
arm
(all relatively easy to do - just take your time, and don't take all the leads off at once!)

I would do all of the above - maybe testing the running in between each set of parts - but then you have a date from which all the electronic ignition was replaced.

Good luck - plenty of help on here!

:-)

Em xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Thanks everyone - so much useful stuff here! Will give it a go and take my time...

Em - interesting about Brickwerks vs JK - I've got a few parts of JK and not had a problem plus they are relatively local to me, but certainly worth considering (and David has sent links to some really useful guides on Brickwerks)
T25, petrol 1.9

jrt

Post by jrt »

I tend to use a bit of everyone for ordering parts BW,JK, VeeWee,GSF,Eurocarparts...just depends what i want and if i need to pickit up asap. Just ordered a tail pipe from BW then realised they were shut for a stocktake :oops:
David.
the future is unwritten

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Can we clarify which engine you have, as you said air-cooled, but a 1.9 on a B reg is almost certainly a water cooled DG. Best check before ordering parts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

JamesB

Post by JamesB »

Well, this is embarrassing and exactly why Mr Novice here went on this forum!
Apparently the engine is a 'DG' which is (indeed?) the watercooled version - and just think, i was about order all my parts - i guess some of them might have worked......
T25, petrol 1.9

jrt

Post by jrt »

well....you can add change the coolant to your list then :lol:
David.
the future is unwritten

jrt

Post by jrt »

JamesB wrote:Well, this is embarrassing and exactly why Mr Novice here went on this forum!
Apparently the engine is a 'DG' which is (indeed?) the watercooled version - and just think, i was about order all my parts - i guess some of them might have worked......
Just log in on the BW page and put in T3 watercooled in the menu and all the parts will come up for your van https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... 9l-dg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't forget to scour all the great info on the wiki at the top of the page.....don't let it put you off!! :wink:
David.
the future is unwritten