New starter motor grinds flywheel

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mooney
80-90 Mem No: 0

New starter motor grinds flywheel

Post by Mooney »

Recently got a new automatic starter motor off brickwerks as my last one had the solenoid break. It was starting fine for a few weeks but now makes a horrible grinding noise when trying to start.

I've also installed a hard start relat which hasn't helped, I've measured the voltage on the starter and it's around 12.5 measuring from the battery side it drops to 11.5 when trying to start.

At the moment it grinds horribly against the flywheel but none of the teeth appear missing or too worn. I've rotated it round and attempted to start again but no joy.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
1983 1.9 DG WBX Automatic

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: New starter motor grinds flywheel

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

No flywheel on an auto box engine.. :wink:

Please don't say you are grinding your way through the torque converter plate... :shock: :shock:

Cordialement,

:ok

Mooney

Post by Mooney »

It's the part where the starter meets the wheel with the teeth in it. Not sure what it's called on an auto. Any solution s to the grinding noise?

Mooney

Post by Mooney »

Ok so I think the bearings gone on it. Tested it out of vehicle (at this stage nothing to lose) and got the below problem. Is this fixable or do I need a new starter? //cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ca4d26f7f1 ... 163215.mp4

oilrag
80-90 Mem No: 16083

Post by oilrag »

The (new) starter is u/s, the pinion end bearing has collapsed and is the reason for the noise/grinding . May i suggest you contact brickwerks with all your info and evidence as this new starter is clearly faulty and i would think they will investigate and possibly replace foc (assuming by new you mean purchased recently in last 12 months). I rebuilt my automatic's starter myself using parts readily available for much much less than 1/3 the cost of a replacement from traders. T2/3 automatic (003911023E) transmission starters seem rare initially unless you actually look deeper,but as the same one is used on many other marques of vehicle it need not necessarily be as expensive as the vw world makes it out to be .I have seen them only this week on the autodoc website priced at 95 euros,hard to tell if reproductions from china or rebuilt bosch units re-branded ,but all the same nowhere near as costly as VW t2/3 suppliers of parts.
Oilrag :ok
'89 wbx DG lpg, 5 speed, twin slider, hi top.
There's always someone who has a bigger or better one .