DG will not start, fuel issue?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gollfy
80-90 Mem No: 14123

DG will not start, fuel issue?

Post by gollfy »

Hi,
Have an issue with my DG engine. Will only start when you put petrol directly into carb, then after engine is warm, starts on the key.

Leave it a couple of days and engine just turns over and over and wont start until petrol is thrown in the carb.

Do you think I ought to replace the fuel pump push rod? I have already changed the pump.

Cheers for your help

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: DG will not start, fuel issue?

Post by jrt »

Worth a go as they are cheap and only takes 5 mins to do. Should be 100mm in length, did mine last year there was quite a bit of wear on the point. Filter and lines all ok?
David.
the future is unwritten

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

float chamber should be full of fuel when you stop and so it should enable you to start it even if the fuel pump wasn't working well.

you know how to set the choke I take it?

have you tried pumping the throttle a few times before trying to start, the accelerator pump should squirt fuel in, you can see this if you take the trunking off the top of carb.

Sounds more like a carb problem to me making it very lean, either an air leak or accelerator pump knackered or choke mech broken.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

gollfy
80-90 Mem No: 14123

Post by gollfy »

Filter and lines are all ok. Once fired up after putting fuel in carb, it is fine. Just when left over night I presume the fuel falls back and needs pumping up again hence why I was going down the line of changing the fuel pump rod.

I see what you mean about the float chamber being full, and I think I gave the pedal a few presses before starting, I presume that's how you 'set the choke'.
Will take the top off the carb and investigate.
Thanks for your help:)

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

one pump of pedal sets choke but alot of chokes are broken
a few pumps of the pedal should squirt fuel in same as pouring it in. try it.
when top is off see if choke flap is free to move. If it is its broken.

push rod short usually stops enough fuel delivery at high load at speed or up hills. If you don't have that its not the pushrod.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Pumps on the pedal is unlikely to overcome an airlock, pouring in the top, though less sophisticated and needing some disassembly, is generally effective. To some extent it depends what the underlying problem(s) is/(are)
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

937carrera wrote:Pumps on the pedal is unlikely to overcome an airlock, pouring in the top, though less sophisticated and needing some disassembly, is generally effective. To some extent it depends what the underlying problem(s) is/(are)

it's not overcoming an air lock. Its priming the engine with fuel to starrt with fuel from the float chamber. once started it will run for maybe 20 seconds or so on whats in the float chamber while the pump pulls fuel through.

if it doesn't work then the accelerator pump is buggered or the float chamber empty for some reason.

Anybody with lpg knows how long an engine runs for once you cut the fuel supply by the fuel in the chamber. Quite some time hot much less cold.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks