1.6 NA diesel sump plug

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

1.6 NA diesel sump plug

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Hi all, can’t seem to find a new sump plug and washer on the usual sites. Maybe I’m missing something. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks, Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: 1.6 NA diesel sump plug

Post by colinthefox »

There is no washer. The tapered end of the plug is supposed to seal against the aluminium casting. I always use just a trace of sealant on the tapered bit to avoid those little drips. Can I ask why you want a new sump plug?

Don't do it up too tight to get a better seal, it's all [E D I T]too[/E D I T] easy to break the casting.
Last edited by colinthefox on 29 Mar 2019, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Re: 1.6 NA diesel sump plug

Post by Jonnyb416 »

colinthefox wrote:There is no washer. The tapered end of the plug is supposed to seal against the aluminium casting. I always use just a trace of sealant on the tapered bit to avoid those little drips. Can I ask why you want a new sump plug?

Don't do it up too tight to get a better seal, it's all to easy to break the casting.

Thank you.

It’s definitely leaking a little around the plug. I’ve heard about people tapping a bigger hole. But I suppose, as you say, a little sealant May do the trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.