Temperamental starter or something else ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Temperamental starter or something else ?

Post by PeteandNikki »

I have a 2.1 DJ Auto Caravelle (1990) that I bought to use as a work horse for ferrying muddy boys after rugby etc.
It was starting and running ok when left just before the end of last year. When I tried to move it about a month ago I guess the battery was a little flat but it turned over ok at first for a couple of attempts then nothing. Ignition lights are on and don’t dim when key turned as not even a ‘click’ from the starter. I checked all connections at the starter and all seemed ok. I ran out of time to fiddle so left it until this evening when I thought I’d try again, so hooked up to a spare battery and it turned over a few times but the battery was not that good so I swapped it for a fully charged jump pack and now I’m back to square one with all the same previous symptoms!
Anyone got any ideas?

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Temperamental starter or something else ?

Post by davidoft1 »

Try wiggling the gearstick it could be the inhibitor switch

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Temperamental starter or something else ?

Post by RogerT »

Check how many volts reach the starter solenoid, you may not have enough if your wiring is original and your battery is sub-optimal. (Multimeters are very useful and very cheap ~£10). Check out CovKids bit in the wiki on wiring. The wire to the starter solenoid tends to corrode.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.