34pic 4 carb is n 1.6 CT

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hex

34pic 4 carb is n 1.6 CT

Post by hex »

So I have a CT 34pic 4 carb and all, my enquiry is

My carbs getting a little old and the return spring for the auto chock cam snapped the other day (doesn’t seem it’s available for replacement), while hunting around I found them at mashine 7 refurbed for near £400, firstly has anyone had any experience with there carbs, good or bad?.
    Secondly I read on an American forum that apparently the 34 4 was also used on very late American bugs and the guys where talking about replacing them with 34 4’s, is that possible or is that because they are running 009 dizzy sand no vacuum etc etc?, any ideas guys.

I’m not looking for upgrading as such just makes life easier having a very standard readily available carb, plus would be cheaper and easier if it doesn’t require lots of work to butcher original vacuum lines etc.

Thanks

sarran1955
    80-90 Mem No: 6754
    Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: 34pic 4 carb is n 1.6 CT

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Here is a video showing the rebuild of a pict 34/4.

Probably the best Solex on an air-cooled.
    All the parts are available, there are refurbishers about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dctz_4dKoJo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You might want to consider modernising the ignition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJPyPuJZkHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps..

Air-Cooled Bliss.. 8)

Cordialement,

:ok

davidoft1
    Trader
    80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Is it just the choke that’s faulty ? I would rebuild the carb and fix the fault

hex

Post by hex »

Thanks for the reply guys, ok then I guess it’s worth keeping and thanks for the links sarran, I will check them now. As for updating the ignition what did you have in mind my mechanic has removed the voltage amplifier (which seemed to be causing issue) by modifying the dizzy (original vac type) with bay parts and I replaced the coil leads etc, but would be very keen to do more if there’s more I can do.

hex

Post by hex »

Just watched your links so I guess that’s what you meant by ignition upgrade ;)