Front driver side rattle: Cured!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Front driver side rattle: Cured!

Post by mshaw1980 »

So I had an annoying rattle driving over bumps but 2asnt suspension. So got under the van and had an assistant rock the wheel from side to side and could hear the rattle that I could hear whilst driving over bumpy roads coming from the steering bevel box. Great I thought, about £470 from brickwerks as the noise was so irritating. Then I saw something in my haynes about it not being serviceable but it can be greased. Hmm, ok then so I took it off tonight then carefully used a chisel to tap the backing plate off the bevel box. The remaining grease was a bit black and over 30 years you could see some of it had escaped past one of the seals of the shaft. So I cleaned out the old grease, gears looked in good condition and repacked with new grease. I then carefully refitted the backing plate back into position. Turned the gears by hand and it did seem quieter but proof would be back on the van.
Refitted the bevel box and have noticed there is no longer any rattling. Just need to take the van over some washboard roads but pleased so far with a cheap fix on an expensive part :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Front driver side rattle: Cured!

Post by slowcoach »

Good fix ! Any pictures of what / where you did it? Not familiar with the bevel box - must mean I've not had any problems with it- yet :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: Front driver side rattle: Cured!

Post by mshaw1980 »

No pics of me doing it unfortunately but it is behind the radiator on the driver side and here are some pictures of the unit. The picture on a non T25 vehicle shows the base of the unit that can be carefully removed with a chisel. Its like a paint can top. Tap all the way around with a chisel till it comes loose, clean it out and repack with grease. Jobs a good un. Have just fitted electric power steering too so probably a good time for the grease to be renewed.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)