Sticking in gear

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T3BUS
80-90 Mem No: 0

Sticking in gear

Post by T3BUS »

My 5 speed box is developing a problem when selecting gear, especially when my girlfriend got stuck in 2nd on a dual carriageway! It’s intermittent but without any warning the gears will stick in reverse or 2nd and are very reluctant to change. Has anyone out there got any words of wisdom before I start with a linkage refurb kit from Brickwerks?
Fingers crossed for an inexpensive solution!!!

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Re: Sticking in gear

Post by adie89 »

I would start simple. Check if the brake/clutch reservoir is low, if it’s low check for leaks and bleed the clutch
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Sticking in gear

Post by Aidan »

check the oil, change it if it hasn't been done in a long while that way you can see the drain plug magnet and assess the wear in the box and the linkage needs checking first before you go spending money; including the bottom of the gearstick on the 5 speed, you may not need to replace anything it could be a simple fault like the boot joining the cup and ball is split and dirt/stone has got trapped or as often happens the rust build up on the steel part the ball is mounted on has caused the ball to split and/or ride up the steel part so the steel part is sticking out the bottom and jamming in the cup