Gearshift rod shouldered bolt and bushes

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Gearshift rod shouldered bolt and bushes

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi all
In the attached photos you can see the shouldered bolt and bushes that go through the gear selection rod and gearlever forks underneath the gearlever.

There obviously needs to be rotational movement for the gearshift rod to move forwards and backwards but there is significant side to side play too as I can see underneath the van if an assistant rocks the gearlever in neutral plane the shift rod rocks side to side slightly. I would have thought this should be solid? Is that right?

The ŕeason I ask is because my 1st gear selection probably 'baulks' approx 30% of the time (doesnt fully go into 1st and just crawls forward) I select it. All other gears are perfect.

Assistance on the bush questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MarkImageImage

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

mshaw1980

Re: Gearshift rod shouldered bolt and bushes

Post by mshaw1980 »

Think I may have found the problem doing some research on brickwerks website. I appear to have the t4 bushes where the part no ends in 169. The t3 bushes end in part no 166. Will order some and fingers crossed all will be well :ok

Ps. If you buy a gear stick rebuild kit check these bushes are correct.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I'd have never guessed it was repaired with the wrong parts
let us all know if it makes a difference

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Aidan wrote:I'd have never guessed it was repaired with the wrong parts

Will do Aidan. Thanks

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Currently have the subaru inlet manifold off my engine but fitted the new correct bushes to the gearshift rod under my gearstick.

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the way the shift feels, all gears feel tighter including 1st even though I had previously rebuilt the linkage and gearstick bits.. Will update when I take it for a drive :ok

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

mshaw1980 wrote:

Currently have the subaru inlet manifold off my engine but fitted the new correct bushes to the gearshift rod under my gearstick.

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the way the shift feels, all gears feel tighter including 1st even though I had previously rebuilt the linkage and gearstick bits.. Will update when I take it for a drive :ok

Ok took the van for a drive tonight and all gears feel much tighter. Cant believe the difference the two correct bushes have made, even after all the rebuild parts I have used. I baulked the 1st gear a couple of times but I think now with the new bushes fitted its highlighted the fact that I need to shorten the gear linkage by a mm or two at the spined joint. 1st definitely feels more positive though when its selected so I hope am nearly there on curing the 1st gear issue I have had for so long. :D