4 speed box gearbox issue

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oblong
80-90 Mem No: 0

4 speed box gearbox issue

Post by oblong »

Got a 4 speed gearbox fitted to our 2.1DJ.

We find that it is impossible to change from 3rd gear when van is at standstill.
When van is moving gear changing from 3rd is fine.

Issue has always been the same since we got the van.
We try to make sure we have changed down before stopping but at times we forget and have to slip clutch to move away.
We did about 3k miles last summer with it like this and it doesn't seem to be getting worse.
Plan to go to France this year so probably best to get it sorted.

I don't have the gearbox code at the moment as van is in storage. Probably get is out in a week.
I do have a spare 4 speed box for a rebuild, Code of the spare is ABB04124. Don't know if its the same type as one currently fitted.

Do you think problem can be lived with?
One suggestion is that it is a fractured 3-4 hub

Cheers

Rob

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: 4 speed box gearbox issue

Post by Aidan »

Rob
I would concur with the diagnosis I'm afraid, if it is getting worse then eventually it will stick in gear completely and you will need to be recovered. It's possibly a broken selector fork bearing issue, but again that is likely to get worse as the one on the other end of the fork will likely fail

oblong

Post by oblong »

Aidan
Thank you for the reply.
See from your website you are not taking any rebuilds.
Do you have any recommendations for gearbox rebuilders.
We are in Liverpool so anywhere in North West is preferred.

I know of bears motorsport in the Midlands.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Diagnosis proved correct, several broken selector fork bearings, worn selector shaft splines where a replacement ball lever had been badly fitted, probably to try and fix the issue, molegrip marks on the selector shaft where someone had previously forced it into neutral when it had jammed in gear (probably by the mechanic on a recovery when it failed before and either the box was then sold as 'good used' and has ended up being fitted in this van or the van was sold without the known fault being declared, with an airy 'oh they all do that' comment when new owner found it was problematic)

AND 3rd 4th synchrohub broken into 4 pieces, I am amazed it drove at all :shock:

1983 DU code box had had a cheap shonkey rebuild sometime a good while in the past with probably only the pinion bearing being replaced, distorted circlips reused and silicon on the reused gaskets, seals not changed, silicon blocking the breather hole so the selector shaft seal had become the breather, pretty typical cheapskate bodgery that unfortunately many of these vans suffered back when they were cheap and lots of vans being broken and gearboxes were £50 each from the scrappies

oblong

Post by oblong »

Thank you Aidan for an excellent investigation.
A very impressive breakdown of all the problems found.
How we managed to tour Scotland and Orkney iIslands last summer with the gearbox in that state amazes me.

Van was sold to me as a much loved show van in Oct 2017.
It is solid and has nice paint job and interior.
We've since taken off all the Tatton Park show van stickers off.
Slowly its becoming a van to drive around in.