Low Oil Pressure light on idle flickers

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wilso
80-90 Mem No: 0

Low Oil Pressure light on idle flickers

Post by Wilso »

Hey Guys,

So I used have a problem after long motorway mileage with the low pressure oil light flickering at idle.. but a very low flicker.

Since then the engine was replaced (march 18) after the van was run in with a few more miles added it then sat for 5 months (my GF supposedly turned it over for me every month) from aug 18 to Dec 18.

Since Jan I have been getting a flickering oil light at idle. I've done a check of the switches using a light tester and hooking it up to the 12v part of the alternator and the low pressure switch is giving me a faint light.

Now, bearing in mind the van was sat for a while and the oil was changed prior to this AND that the engine is a reconditioned engine - what could be the problem?

I don't think it's electrical as I've tested both switches at the engine side to ensure that the yellow one is showing a current over 2000RPM. However the blue wire, which should be showing no current when the engine is running, is showing a faint light at idle.

I will be changing the oil and oil filter in the next couple of days also. The engine is under warranty until the middle of next month and I've emailed the company tonight to see what they will do (as there is a ever so slight oil leak too).
Own; T25(3) RHD Carravelle conversion into camper. 2.1 petrol Wasserboxer.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Low Oil Pressure light on idle flickers

Post by itchyfeet »

Get the pressure tested before the warranty is out. VW spec is 2 bar min at 80 deg oil temp and 2000rpm with 15W 40 mineral oil
It's very oil temp dependent so if you get a garage to do it make sure they make an oil temperature measurement and don't just guess it.

Rebuilds may suffer with oil pressure issues because aftermarket pumps are smaller than the OEM pumps and leak pressure internally.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

^^^ what he said
:ok
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

That sounds odd. Your van has the DOP sensing system, so the light should either be flashing or off. It should not be on dimly ever, even under marginal oil pressure conditions. There's a different fault somewhere.
Having just reread the description, it seems it's your test light that's on dimly on the blue switch. Again, it's a switch so either open or closed, therefore light should be on brightly or off. I'd be trying another switch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Wilso

Post by Wilso »

ajsimmo wrote:That sounds odd. Your van has the DOP sensing system, so the light should either be flashing or off. It should not be on dimly ever, even under marginal oil pressure conditions. There's a different fault somewhere.
Having just reread the description, it seems it's your test light that's on dimly on the blue switch. Again, it's a switch so either open or closed, therefore light should be on brightly or off. I'd be trying another switch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Rgr - thats what I thought. It flickers inconsistantly when idling which says to me that its on the edge of being on or off? Is that possible with this type of switch on normal operation.. say the pressure keeps petering in and out if there is a problem somewhere?

Like I said I've emailed the company and waiting on delivery of an oil filter and oil (couldn't find the right grade in mineral oil at Halfords) and I'll see if that solves it.

I do have a question though - oil separation/breakdown or influx of condensation - how much would this effect it? My gut says oil breakdown shouldn't be an issue... as that takes thousands of years?! Condensation would do something... but the breather and relief valve would sort that out right.. or am I just being ridiculous?

Wilso

Post by Wilso »

Problem solved, went onto 20w50 and no more oil light issues.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

OK, you are happy now, that's good.

I would still get the oil pressure checked while it is in warranty, the oil pressure should no be so marginal that a grade change "solves" the problem.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Wilso wrote:Problem solved, went onto 20w50 and no more oil light issues.

Like painting over rust. If you don't solve the problem it will just come back later. You have, if I remember, a warranty about to expire. This is the time to get the pressure checked.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

I think there's an echo in here, an echo..... an echo....

I just re-read the original post, looks like the OP has just had his warranty run out :(

As the builder was notified I think it even more important to get the pressure checked immediately, otherwise I suspect the OP will be back asking for more expensive advice before too long...... yet it might just be a duff switch

Wilso

Post by Wilso »

So an update is needed;

I had the van recovered to the manufacturer of the engine free of charge by my insurance company after a local garage, albeit with good reviews, completely cocked up a simple job. They pressure checked everything, tested the wiring and switches. All is fine!!

My shout out goes to the VW Engine Company who were absolutely mega throughtout the whole thing!!!

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Thanks for posting an update, good to know all is OK.

I assume the dim/flickering oil pressure light is no longer present. When did that disappear, do you know what the problem was ?

Wilso

Post by Wilso »

Was due to the consistency of oil; the pressure switches measure so close to the pressure the oil prevents when warm. She was running fine before and after the local garage cocked up a simple job.

I had a small leak from the oil pump cover and didn’t want to send the van to the other side of London just to get the gasket replaced so I employed a local garage to do it; they did an awful job and were prepared to let me take back the van when the oil light was on and the engine sounded incredibly rough!!! Amateurs!!

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Mine started doing this today.... :shock:

Pulled up on the drive last week and the light flickered on briefly, was sure I saw it, but it didn't happen again.
Talked myself out of checking.

Today was fine, until returning home. Suspect reading this thread that it's primarily when engine is warmer.
Every roundabout or junction it came on and stayed on once I had been driving for 20 mins.
Anything over 1000 revs and it goes off again.

Gonna have to get oil pressure checked I think. The oil volume is Ok on the stick so not low.

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Just be aware that a cracked alternator bracket has the same symptoms, as the earth contact is lost  :ok  

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Aidan wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 19:07 Just be aware that a cracked alternator bracket has the same symptoms, as the earth contact is lost  :ok  

Thanks Aidan.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.