East London t25 mechanic needed...

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Deloris
80-90 Mem No: 16700

East London t25 mechanic needed...

Post by Deloris »

Desperately trying to find a decent mechanic in East London for my T25 2.1. Have tried jacks garage in west London who left my vehicle in whose condition than when I took it in and VDubshed who replaced head gasket seal, but overtigtened tappers, even breaking one and now have multiple coolant and oil leaks. Need to get it sorted but beyond my tinkering skills. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: East London t25 mechanic needed...

Post by clift_d »

There isn't really anywhere I'd stake my reputation on (for what it's worth).

If you're desperate you could try speaking to Bill @ Westgate Motors in London Fields. They know these vans and some on here have had broadly positive experiences with them, but our experience with them a few years back, with our diesel van, was more mixed.

Maybe some of the petrol owners can advise of somewhere with more specific knowledge / experience on a 2.1 engine?
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

If you don't mind looking further east you could talk to Paul at Harry Harpics in Essex, they are knowledgeable about engines and I have always had a good experience with them although Sir Brixalot didnt.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1987 1.9 DG pop-top

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I really couldn't recommend Harry Harpics. They Charged me a lot of money and then completely messed up my automatic gearbox which only went it for a leaky seal. They repeatedly drove it while the gearbox was screaming after they attempted to repair it. They eventually sent it out to another company who didn't repair it properly and who told me to sell the van. Took a lot of train journeys up and down , phone calls, emails and had loads of breakdowns once on a steep hill.
I eventually had to spent another £1,500 getting it repaired elsewhere. When I asked Harry Harpics for a contribution, Paul refused, the son later called me a beggar. I note that they send their own gearboxes off to Aidan. I wish they'd never touched mine, I'd be £3000 or so better off

Any business can make a mistake, its about how much effort is put in to making things right. I really regret not taking them to the small claims court.

It is hard finding a decent garage round here. I used to go to Gasure and Campershack instead but for different reasons they're not taking on work AFAIK. Jon from Gasure has set up on his own now though.

TBH it's better to move the tinkering skill up a level. Where are the leaks coming from? Coolant leaks can result from the system not being bled properly.
Honorary "Dave"