Driveshaft fell off!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pleasestartnow
80-90 Mem No: 11015

Driveshaft fell off!

Post by pleasestartnow »

So this is the last straw really folks if this isnt a straight forward fix. A string of problems over the last year has resulted in me having no joy in the van any more.

I was giving the van its weekly run when i pulled up to a roundabout. A bit of a pop and the van wasnt moving. I could change gear but there was no sign of movement. Slightly panicky as Traffic was buildig i jumped out and had a look under and saw the drive shaft connecting to the back left wheel had disconnected from the gearbox. Pushed ithe van nto the local lidl and got a spin home as couldnt be dealing with it. There was one bolt missing when i had a look but i found it on the road and none of the other bokts looked sheared or anything.

Is this a case off just bolting it back on or doed it mean there is an issue with the gearbox and there was excessive torque or something to twist off the driveshaft? Van was driving fine the last few weeks and didnt feel like there was any issue with gearbox. It happened just as i went to take off from a stopped position.

Seriously gutted like!

1.9D 1990
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Driveshaft fell off!

Post by muttleypup »

Since it happened at pull away can't see there'll be any damage so assuming you need to get the van moved / home, re-fit the shaft with the existing bolts and you're good to go. Order these https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/cv-joint-b ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and swap over.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

mickcorr
80-90 Mem No: 2984

Post by mickcorr »

It's happened to many of us.............don't worry it's not serious. Get some new bolts if they've been bent out of shape, torque up and continue.
(Check all the other bolts down there while you're at it).
1989 LHD 1.9 DG WBX Multivan TinTop
1990 1.9 DG WBX Autosleeper Trident

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Cheers for the replys folks. Will stop by on the way home from work and rebolt it up. At least it isnt to far from home. Fingers crossed when i get a look in the light none of the bolts are sheared. Fingera crossed its a quick enough job
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

pleasestartnow wrote:Cheers for the replys folks. Will stop by on the way home from work and rebolt it up. At least it isnt to far from home. Fingers crossed when i get a look in the light none of the bolts are sheared. Fingera crossed its a quick enough job

Make sure that you clean out the heads of the screws before you start to tighten them up otherwise you run the risk of rounding the screws.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

pleasestartnow wrote:A string of problems over the last year has resulted in me having no joy in the van any more.

You must have heard that clunking and clanking way before it fell off?
If you are going to get any sort of reliability out of a 30 year old van you mast pay more attention it talking to you.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Fit the correct locking washers, it doesn't look like you have any.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schnorr-serr ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

no need to have it towed , take a jack, and some new bolts and antivibration washers to it and put it back on .
someone has had it off and not tightened it correctly .
whilst it appears to be a common thing, infact it is only common among those that haven't been put together correctly .

in 25 plus years ive never had one come off or loose .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

No there was no knocking or clunking at all. It was cruising along. Stopped at thr roundabout and pop. Ya i didnt see any washers on it at all. Wont have a chance to get any before i get to it later so hopefully i can bolt it up and it will hold for the 3km home. Will sort it all properly then like. Filling me with confidence again lads cheers :ok
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

pleasestartnow wrote:No there was no knocking or clunking at all. It was cruising along. Stopped at thr roundabout and pop. Ya i didnt see any washers on it at all. Wont have a chance to get any before i get to it later so hopefully i can bolt it up and it will hold for the 3km home. Will sort it all properly then like. Filling me with confidence again lads cheers :ok

Happened to me exactly the same. Driving fine down the A14, pulled off at the a43 slip, stopped at lights. Went to pull away...no movement. Was no cluncking etc. Pushed van into layby, bolted up and was fine. Got home, had them checked. Not been an issue since.

Weird old vans :-)

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

it clearly has two of the three locking tabs in your picture, so tighten it firmly and you will get home , then revisit it as a priority to add the washers
well fitting tools and a firm hand will see you right
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cecil »

I think the bolt in the centre of the picture looks bent ,you may have to hammer it flush and leave it undone . You will need to take an axle stand or large blocks of wood as a secondary support to the jack.You will need either 12 point or hex key tool depending on the style of bolt heads you have.
If you were to tow the van with the rear wheels on the ground that shaft would flap around as the wheel rotates!

Stirls
80-90 Mem No: 16805

Post by Stirls »

Does anyone know the correct torque for the bolts think I'll give mine a check just in case.
Cheers
1989 1.6td westfalia california hightop

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Bentley manual says 45 Nm (33 ft lb) for the rear drive shafts, and 35 Nm (26 ft lb) for the front drive shafts on a Syncro. I'm not sure why they should be different but that's what it says.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Well, all sorted folks thanks a million as always.

One of the bolts was bent so had to cut it off.
No washers on any of the bolts.
Opposite side was also loose when i had a look.

Are the bolts m8x48's?

I had a fella sorting a bit of rust around the rear trailing arm during the summer and he would have taken them off then and just never put them back on tightly maybe.
I am just happy i have the van home now so i can go through them properly at the weekend when i have a chance.

Appreciate help and the support as always lads
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D