Lazy Starter

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bilson
80-90 Mem No: 14455

Lazy Starter

Post by Bilson »

I've had a few weeks now of problems with the van, but thought it would be best to start a specific thread about the starter problems I'm having.

It's a 2.0 cu.

I've got a lazy sounding starter, which didn't sound bad the other day, well it did, but intermittently. I've ruled out a flat battery as the cause. I've been reading about the various things that could be causing my starter problems, I know the battery is holding it's charge, so I'm hoping it might just be a bad earth.

Despite reading everything I've found on the forum, I don't really know what I'm doing, so I've had a look at the fuses in case that's relevant, and found a relay on the back of the fuses that had a dodgy looking connection, I'd already cleaned it up by the time I grabbed my camera, the connection below the arrow was black.

Whether it might have anything to do with the starter or not, I presume it's not a good sign. I'd be grateful for any pointers on the relay is for, and what could cause it to go black. I will look further into it myself later, but want to use up the daylight on van, so a lazy shortcut would be most appreciated if anybody happens to know.

From what I've read, I gather the starter is earthed via it's contact with the engine. I can see a wire from the battery, and one to the alternator. Then from the solenoid, there's and a red and black wire that goes to the ignition switch, and a green wire which isn't connected to anything, but comes up under the dash. I assume it's maybe been fitted to aid starting in some way?

Lastly, I'd be grateful to find out if I'm right thinking that this below is the gearbox earth strap? I'll give it a clean now anyway, just want to be sure I'm getting at everything I can while there's some sun behind the raining clouds.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. I know this is probably the easy bit, and I might have already done everything I need, but would rather ask and be sure.

I've read about this bit, which will probably be my next move if this doesn't work. I'd rather avoid it if I can though.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/bush-t3-st ... etrol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aircooled 2.0 CU Twin Solex Carbs

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Lazy Starter

Post by bigherb »

There are not any relays on the starter circuit unless one has been added.
The relay is the indicator relay could just have been the plating on the pins oxidising due to dampness.
Yes, that is the gearbox earth strap, remove and clean up the mating surfaces the same with the starter motor connections (disconnect the battery first) and check the battery earth connection to the body.
Other problems might be the starter bush is worn or just a duff starter motor.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Bilson

Post by Bilson »

Cheers Big Herb.

I did all the above earlier, to no avail, well the starter did sound slightly more lively to be fair, and sounded closer to firing, but had no joy starting. I haven't been able to check the ignition yet though, so might look at that before trying to get at the starter, just in case I'm barking up the wrong lamppost.

Is it essential to jack the van up to remove the starter?

I realise it's probably much easier to do so, but I might not be able to due to a combination of me not having axle stands, and my general distrust of condition the rear jacking points are in.

I'd like to measure the voltage reaching the starter, in case that's an issue, I'm not quite sure how to go about it though, I'm guessing it needs to be tested while turning the engine over?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

The starter can be removed without jacking up working above the rear wheel, (unless the van has been lowered) and you're not large, but much easier raised a bit.

Voltage measurements have to be taken when the motor is in operation, around 10V is normal, check at the battery first and then at the starter then compare readings. Even with a good battery and wiring the starter motor if duff can draw excessive current pulling the voltage down, the readings really have to be compared with the current amps draw which is around 80-100 amps with a good starter.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Bilson

Post by Bilson »

I tightened up the spade to the solenoid today which seemed a bit loose which seems to have made the starter sound a lot livelier. Still no joy though.

Got a bush in the post, hoping I won't need it though to be honest.

As soon as I can get another human to turn the ignition for me I'll check to see what kind of spark I'm getting, new dizzy cap and rotor arm also on it's way, so hope I might get some joy with the ignition.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Perhaps one of these...

About 15£ on that popular auction site..

Connect between solenoid feed cable and the starter.. :wink:

Cordialement,

:ok