mechanical advise needed 1983 T25

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SkaterJay
80-90 Mem No: 16818

mechanical advise needed 1983 T25

Post by SkaterJay »

looking for some mechanical advise on my van if possible? i have a T25 1983 1.9 petrol watercooled with a pierburg carb. a few months ago i was driving on the motor way and the van lost power and cut out. i managed to get it home 15 minutes later but it further cut out 2 more times before getting her home. since then in the drive, it would start first time every time but then cut out on idle. it would also shake alittle. sounds like fuel starvation ?or blockage ?

i had by this pointed 'fiddled' around with various bits and was unable to figure out the issue, (im no mechanic :wink: ). iv now had a couple of guys look at it local in stoke and they said its got a miss fire on cylinder 1 and needs a drivers side engine rebuild. they said its also got a missfire (non-mechanical) either dizzy cap, plug, leads etc. they also said its also over fueling and the carb needs to be reset up. they said with parts and labour about 500.

prior to this i have checked the fuel line and all filters, made sure everything is correctly plugged into the right place. idle shut off, etc. im happy to pay the cash to get her running and get a new mot, i may source the parts myself to keep the cost lower and then pay the labour. but really my question is does this sound like it could be the issue ? and im not being conned ?

Jay

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: mechanical advise needed 1983 T25

Post by itchyfeet »

get a compression tester and check it yourself before paying for a top end rebuild.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-Hi-Ga ... 0759064965" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

need engine hot/warm, all plugs out, screw it in throttle open and 10 turns of starter, that's 10 ner ner s

do all four

8-13 bar 3 bar variation is the spec.
8 is too low really.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

I should add 500 quid soon ends up in 'need a new engine mate' when the head studs snap off and you still have a £500 bill for the work done and a broken van.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

sounds more like a TCi unit on it's way out from the initial issue, I wouldn't let anyone work on it unless they are a known experienced wbx friendly garage and they are few and far between now unfortunately

SkaterJay

Post by SkaterJay »

Thanks for the advice guys I will buy a tester. Also these guys have a really good reputation locally. Ones an old guy who’s been rebuilding them for years. I did my research before I sent the van off, I am aware some people are like Frankenstein’s cowboys . They said I can self source the parts and are really open to that idea and said I can just pay the labour. Thanks again for the advice !

Jay

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

Check vac unit on dizzy holds a vacuum,https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... 9l-dg.html

check choke vac pull down holds a vac https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... g-2e3.html

and check that the choke flap is actually attached to the auto choke and the little plastic connector isn't broken Image.

Mine cut out, out of the blue, and would sometimes stall at low revs, I could hold it on the throttle and feather it away from stand still but not happy. when cold it would start and die immediately. when I took the carb off I found all three had gone on mine.

Regards

M
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

SkaterJay wrote: I will buy a tester.

Excellent, if these people really know their stuff and you trusted them 100% then you would not have posted on here.

But if it is loosing compression on no1 having learnt a thing or two about it and tested it yourself you are in a better position to chat to them on a technical level.

Often swapping parts is the quickest way of fault finding so if you know anybody with a similar van locally start buying them some beers :lol:

Be careful to be methodical in your testing, write down what you did helps.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

SkaterJay

Post by SkaterJay »

diabolov wrote:Check vac unit on dizzy holds a vacuum,https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... 9l-dg.html

check choke vac pull down holds a vac https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... g-2e3.html

and check that the choke flap is actually attached to the auto choke and the little plastic connector isn't broken Image.

will check thank you!

M

SkaterJay

Post by SkaterJay »

itchyfeet wrote:
SkaterJay wrote: I will buy a tester.

Excellent, if these people really know their stuff and you trusted them 100% then you would not have posted on here.

But if it is loosing compression on no1 having learnt a thing or two about it and tested it yourself you are in a better position to chat to them on a technical level.

Often swapping parts is the quickest way of fault finding so if you know anybody with a similar van locally start buying them some beers :lol:

Be careful to be methodical in your testing, write down what you did helps.

thanks for the advice :), have had the van a year now and havent had any problems until recently. its been fun to learn, i just feel this is a little to advanced for me currently im still quite noob :mrgreen: . i have been brought up around cars, my dad had a body shop, but i have never really done much mechanics. im sure my posts reflects that.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

We all had to start from scratch.
Well done for trying.
From my own experience.
Air leaks as mentioned are a common culprit for misfire/stalling.
As Paul says be methodical.
Eliminate things catagorically.
There are ways of testing electrical components or simply finding a willing local member to drive to you and swap stuff over
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Before rebuilding the engine, have you replaced the 4 short vacuum hoses that connect around the carb? I had a problem with sudden unexpected stalling. It turned out that the vacuum hoses were perished so the vacuum wasn't working. I bought a length of hose for about £2 cut it into the required lengths and the problem was instantly solved.

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I had stalling issues for some time, mine was down to fuel starvation, worth checking the condition of the fuel tank and replace the fuel lines and filter if you haven't already. Also check the inlet fuel filter in the carb if you're running a pierburg 2e3.
1983 DG Kamper 2

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Whip the plugs out, taking care of which one comes from where and put a picture up.

Measure the gaps too

My thoughts are that the initial problem may have been crud from the tank being pulled through and the idle jet is now blocked.

I had that problem on mine, sorted by removing and cleaning the idle jet, but that's on a Webber so my pics will not help you.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine