Clutch master cylinder- broken feed spigot

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

Clutch master cylinder- broken feed spigot

Post by tandemsandy »

Anyone else have a clutch master cylinder fail by the plastic spigot (the one that takes the pipe from the reservoir above) snapping off?
Had one master cylinder (approx 2 years old) fail by the plastic spigot breaking off, but managed to repair it by bonding a brass spigot in. That gave up after a year so I fitted another new master cylinder from Brickwerks. To try and reduce any bending stress going into the spigot from the 90deg curve of the pipe from vertical down behind the dash to horizontal into the spigot, I added a 90deg brass elbow.

That lasted only a couple of months before the spigot snapped clean off and fluid all over the floor again! When another new master cylinder gets fitted, am now thinking of adding an L-shaped metal bracket under one of the 2 mounting bolts that can be used to clip the pipe, thus isolating any vibration or movement in the rubber pipe from bending the spigot.

Am I unique? Or being stupid somewhere?!!

Rob
Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Clutch master cylinder- broken feed spigot

Post by Aidan »

never come across one fail in service, the spigot often gets broken when pulling the pipe off after 30 years and the new plastic spigots are probably not as good as the originals, nothing plastic is as good these days it seems, like rubber parts, probably due to changes in chemical composition brought about to reduce cancerous compounds in circulation and going into the environment

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Clutch master cylinder- broken feed spigot

Post by multisi »

Happened to me last year, like Aidan says its the new ones that are weak. If anyone is replacing an old oem master cylinder it would be a good idea to take the old plastic out and put it into the new one. Watch out for the cheap ones as the rubber seals can be a loose fit and leak fluid everywhere. I replaced those with 30 year old seals from the top reservoir.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon