Hello, new member, clueless with coolant and other issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Crisnsatch
80-90 Mem No: 16677

Hello, new member, clueless with coolant and other issues

Post by Crisnsatch »

Hello,

New member and 1st time T3 owner. Apologies in advance for the blurb about to come... We bought our van in the summer. The only issue it has ever had was the oil light flashing after long journeys. No oil loss and research showed it was likely a new oil pressure switch would sort it? It also flew through its MOT in November, with the tester saying how tidy it was.

But... Lately it's being a bit of a nightmare. Temp gauge barely moving from cold even when engine hot. The other day, there was a bit of steam from the front, checked the expansion tank ( behind number plate ) and it was empty! The main tank on left was full. Rightly or wrongly I topped it back up with correct coolant and it ran fine, did about 15 miles and no steam. Tank stayed full. Tried it today, it was pretty much empty again and there seemed to be a leak of rusty coloured water dripping from left hand side of the rad for a few minutes, then the drips stopped? I have bought some rad seal but not yet put it in. Also at the same time, the main beam headlights work intermittent but side lights, indicators etc are all fine and horn stopped working. I am wondering if damp has got into the electrics? Van became quite damp inside and door cards have gone mouldy due to window seals being shot. No fuses blown and earth crowns look good. In essence of the war n peace story above, you can probably tell I am no mechanic and a bit worried about all the gremlins happening at once.

Going back to the coolant issue... I have read that the tank behind the number plate that I have been calling the expansion tank (right or wrong) should have coolant in it when hot but be empty when cold?.. But have also read and been told it should have coolant in it all the time? There is so many different opinions out there. Before the issues, I believe it always had coolant in there.

Any help or info will be very gratefully received. We've always wanted one of these vans and would love to and are very willing to learn any tips on how to keep it well maintained. Round up of my mumbling below...

Leak?

Temp gauge not working

Headlights (full and dip not working) neither is horn

Oil light flashes after long journey

Is it safe to use rad seal? If so, can I put it straight in the expansion tank ( behind number plate)?

Finally, sorry for my lack of knowledge and the million questions.

Many thanks
Last edited by Crisnsatch on 09 Jan 2019, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Hello, new member, clueless with coolant and other issued

Post by slowcoach »

Is the leak from the bottom of the left side of the radiator, as in where the pipes go in and out of it? If so, I'd look to see if the jubilee clips just need nipping up. Just locate the leak first, then focus on fixing that- could be v simple.

Horn, you'll have to verify power is getting to the horn first. It's constant power, so the button you press makes the negative side of the circuit complete. Ie you need to check if 12v is getting to the horn positive (when ignition is on). If that's ok, then it's the neg side of the circuit. Do you have a multimeter?
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Crisnsatch

Re: Hello, new member, clueless with coolant and other issues

Post by Crisnsatch »

Hi Slowcoach, thank you for the reply. I don't own a multi meter but I will get one. Something tells me it's going to come in handy with the van ownership! The leak, I removed the bottom grill and the rusty water was dripping from left hand side towards the bottom. As I said, it stopped after about 5 minutes. I will try and take another look tomorrow afternoon. I forgot to mention that the battery seems to have deteriorated fairly quickly. It was supposedly pretty new but I have had to to use a portable jump pack to fire the van up the past 3 to 4 times. I'm hoping I haven't fried any electrical bits.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Crisnsatch wrote: there seemed to be a leak of rusty coloured water dripping from left hand side of the rad for a few minutes, then the drips stopped? I have bought some rad seal but not yet put it in.

Don't, better off looking for the leak and if it's the radiator get a new one.

Crisnsatch wrote: Going back to the coolant issue... I have read that the tank behind the number plate that I have been calling the expansion tank (right or wrong) should have coolant in it when hot but be empty when cold?.

Number plate tank should be up to the mark about 1/2 fill, it won't change a great deal hot or cold ( unless you have a leak of course then it will empty). main pressure tank with cap full at all times.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Don't be using rad seal. It can block your radiator. I have used k seal in the past, but using this can kill your header tank cap.

(It's always handy to let us know what engine you have)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Crisnsatch wrote: Temp gauge not working
start by grounding the sender wire briefly, if it's the sender or earth the gauge will go full scale, if not then check ribbon connection at dash can be corroded

Crisnsatch wrote: Headlights (full and dip not working) neither is horn
clean earths don't just look at them.

Crisnsatch wrote: Oil light flashes after long journey
try a new switch first, if that does not stop it then you need to get a pressure test done or buy a tester which probably won't cost any more if you feel inclined to DIY

Crisnsatch wrote: Is it safe to use rad seal? If so, can I put it straight in the expansion tank ( behind number plate)?
As said don't, at least not yet, don't mask a fault find it and fix it, rad seal is a bodge

Crisnsatch wrote: Finally, sorry for my lack of knowledge and the million questions.

Don't appologise, we were all lacking in knowledge once, the people who should appologise are those who don't even notice the gauges are not working then come on here with a blown engine whinging the van is unreliable :lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

Thanks, the left hand tank is full to the brim and doesn't seem to bugde. I will try and look after work tomorrow to see if the leak is the pipes in the radiator area. Just dreading it being something complicated or expensive. Have tried to upload a pic but it just keeps saying the file is invalid ☹️

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Crisnsatch wrote:Thanks, the left hand tank is full to the brim and doesn't seem to bugde. I will try and look after work tomorrow to see if the leak is the pipes in the radiator area.

that means the system is working as it should the top up tank is there to replace any lost coolant, once you find and fix the leak I suggest a complete coolant change and give it a gentle flush with a hose pipe

Crisnsatch wrote: Just dreading it being something complicated or expensive.
These vans are always expensive until you have caught up with the lack of maintenance they have had for the last 30 years , If you can't afford a few big bills every year it may not be the van for you, my yardstick is expect to spend £500 on maintenance a year on average, some years it will be less some more.

Crisnsatch wrote: Have tried to upload a pic but it just keeps saying the file is invalid ☹️

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... &p=8236324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

:roll:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=144430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

Thank you Itchyfeet, I have an awful lot to learn. All this grounding earth and sender wires etc is alien to me. I have a Haynes manual now, so can study that and see how much info I can try and absorb. We expected to have to spend a fair bit in maintaining the van regularly, just bad timing really with an up coming expensive house move etc. I also want to learn as much as I can, so we only have to use the services of a garage when absolutely necessary. Going to be purchasing a decent tool kit, heavy duty wheel ramps and multi meter for starters.

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

Thanks Rob, it's a 1.9 petrol. 1984 van / bus. Was originally a mini bus but is now a day van. With full size R&R bed and removable cabinet.

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

R0B wrote:Don't be using rad seal. It can block your radiator. I have used k seal in the past, but using this can kill your header tank cap.

(It's always handy to let us know what engine you have)

Thanks Rob, it's a 1.9 petrol. 1984 van / bus. Was originally a mini bus but is now a day van. With full size R&R bed and removable cabinet

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

itchyfeet wrote::roll:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=144430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit of a crappy picture but hopefully it uploaded.

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

Crisnsatch wrote:

Well, that didn't work :)

Crisnsatch

Post by Crisnsatch »

Crisnsatch wrote:
Crisnsatch wrote:

Well, that didn't work :)

https://img.techpowerup.org/190109/img- ... 184917.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;