Glow plugs light issue...

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bernard1973
80-90 Mem No: 4684

Glow plugs light issue...

Post by bernard1973 »

I've got a problem with my glow plugs light. When I go to start the engine and turn the key the light comes on but doesn't go off - so I just wait the 15 or so seconds that it would have taken before going out, then start the engine. The minute the engine starts the light goes out.
I don't think it's a major problem - or is it? :?
1988 1.9D (aef) Caravelle Firetruck

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Glow plugs light issue...

Post by muttleypup »

I assume you're referring to warm/hot starts? I had same issue with mine (albeit a 1.9 1y engine) when i first got it and it was just the wire to the glow plug sensor had come adrift. Might be that simple or maybe the sensor itself is faulty, cheap to replace and rule out.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

bernard1973

Post by bernard1973 »

muttleypup wrote:I assume you're referring to warm/hot starts? I had same issue with mine (albeit a 1.9 1y engine) when i first got it and it was just the wire to the glow plug sensor had come adrift. Might be that simple or maybe the sensor itself is faulty, cheap to replace and rule out.

No mate, everytime. Does it from cold and when it's warmed up.
Whereabouts is the sensor?

Just seen this which might explain it..
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

Ah OK, I think mine probably did the same as yours but when cold i never really noticed as would just start it after 10 secs or so, it was just the light being on at normal temp that bugged me.

Sensor is at the back of the head, or at least it is on my 1Y, wire is Blue/White which should help you find it.

It's not a major issue but needs sorting as it's possible the glow plugs are cycling/heating for longer than necessary and this could eventually damage them
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

bernard1973

Post by bernard1973 »

muttleypup wrote:Ah OK, I think mine probably did the same as yours but when cold i never really noticed as would just start it after 10 secs or so, it was just the light being on at normal temp that bugged me.

Sensor is at the back of the head, or at least it is on my 1Y, wire is Blue/White which should help you find it.

It's not a major issue but needs sorting as it's possible the glow plugs are cycling/heating for longer than necessary and this could eventually damage them

Cheers for the info, going to take a look at this tomorrow.