Solex PDSIT 34 Fuel Cut Off Valves

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

melvin
80-90 Mem No: 9558

Solex PDSIT 34 Fuel Cut Off Valves

Post by melvin »

HI All,
I'm having a problem with the carbs on my 2.0l CU Aircooled, it seems to be with the Fuel Cut off Valves, not the idle cut off valve but the one that is on both carbs. If you pull off the connector on the right one the engine judders a bit but does not stall, If you pull off the left one the engine stalls. I have removed both valves and swapped them over and the problem swaps, so I presume that one of the valves are faulty. I have removed the valves and hooked up a 12v supply to them and connected a rubber pipe to the end, when you blow through the pipe it feels blocked until you connect the battery then you can blow through but there is still pressure when you blow. I have tried blowing through with an air line but one of them still stalls the engine. I presume that one is faulty but they both feel the same when blown.
Does anyone know how freely I should be able to blow through these valves or if these are prone to going partly faulty?

Cheers
Melvin

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Solex PDSIT 34 Fuel Cut Off Valves

Post by bigherb »

The jet at the end is only a small hole so they are not that easy to blow through. They either suffer total failure of the solenoid or the jet blocks, either by debris or get gummed up with petrol residue. Try cleaning/soaking the jet end in carb cleaner.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

melvin

Post by melvin »

Cheers for that, they are now soaking in cleaner, on a side note I disconnected the wire to the bypass cut off valve on the left carb and the engine still ran fine, should this be the case?
The plunger is operating as it should, I have taken this and soaked it just in case.

Cheers
Melvin

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

melvin wrote:on a side note I disconnected the wire to the bypass cut off valve on the left carb and the engine still ran fine, should this be the case?
The plunger is operating as it should, I have taken this and soaked it just in case.

Cheers
Melvin
No, it sounds like your carbs throttle stops need adjusting too the basic settings, one or both are open too far at idle.

Use a screwdriver down the carb inlet to wedge fully open the choke flaps, open and close the throttle to make sure the throttle is not on the fast idle cam, then disconnect the two throttle link rods from the carb, unscrew each throttle stop screw until there is clearance then screw in until it just touches the stop, then screw in one further turn. That will give you basic throttle setting then reconnect the links and check that they are not holding the throttle open, then check that both throttles open at exactly the same time, you adjust them using the adjustable link rod.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

melvin

Post by melvin »

Thanks, all set, and cleaned out, still not running perfect but much better, these forums are great!
Cheers
Melvin

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk