No Idle on 1600 Aircooled ct engine.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

totallyconfused

Re: No Idle on 1600 Aircooled ct engine.

Post by totallyconfused »

Hello Sarran and Paperhouselad,

I have ordered a powerspark distributor and lucas coil.

l agree, getting rid of the Idle stabiliser and control add ons, seems like a good idea to me. Two less things to go wrong and worry about. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

One question, looking for my timing marks, I cant see any. I have a platic guard thing that covers the front of the pulley wheel. The guard has a pointer, which may be meant for timing? I can not see any marks on the pulley wheel....shouldn't they be on the lip of the pulley wheel?

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
1981 - Aircooled 1600 Fire Bus.

Not a camper, Not a pop top, Not Nato Green, its a German Firebus!

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

totallyconfused wrote:Hello Sarran and Paperhouselad,

I have ordered a powerspark distributor and lucas coil.

l agree, getting rid of the Idle stabiliser and control add ons, seems like a good idea to me. Two less things to go wrong and worry about. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

1 small step for Van, 1 giant leap for vankind.. :wink:

One question, looking for my timing marks, I cant see any. I have a platic guard thing that covers the front of the pulley wheel. The guard has a pointer, which may be meant for timing? I can not see any marks on the pulley wheel....shouldn't they be on the lip of the pulley wheel?

The plastic guard is often missing, due to the plastic poppers breaking...

The pointer gives you 6° ATDC, which is for the Hall effect timing, you will be running at 8° BTDC.

Here is a picture showing my timing marks in white Tippex, and also, if you look under the fan belt you will see the notches on the pulley..

]Image

Hope this helps.

Cordialement,

:ok

totallyconfused

Hello again,

The new distributor and coil came today. I have also got the right diaphrams for the carb. Looks like a busy weekend for me.

I haven't found any timing marks on the crankshaft pulley, so will have to find TDC myself and set the 8° TDC from there.

One question I have is, with the new distributor fitted I can get rid of all the vacuum stuff, does this means I can get rid of the big bulky air filter?

There isn't much room between the top of the carb and the engine cover. Does anyone know what size (depth) air filter I can put on my Solex carb? Dont want to get one and the find the engine cover wont go back on!!!!

Cheers,

sarran1955

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

totallyconfused wrote: The new distributor and coil came today. I have also got the right diaphrams for the carb. Looks like a busy weekend for me.

Take your time, stay cool, its not rocket science.. :)

I haven't found any timing marks on the crankshaft pulley, so will have to find TDC myself and set the 8° TDC from there.
The timing notch is on the side of the pulley nearest the engine, I can see it under the fan belt in the photo, at about 1 o clock.. :) ..
One question I have is, with the new distributor fitted I can get rid of all the vacuum stuff, does this means I can get rid of the big bulky air filter?
As you will see in the video, the air cleaner sitting on the stool has all the take offs riveted shut, I still use the VW filter for several reasons, to look standard, it has a good air filter element. You can check easily for crankcase pressure (hose from breather tower to air cleaner)
There isn't much room between the top of the carb and the engine cover. Does anyone know what size (depth) air filter I can put on my Solex carb? Dont want to get one and the find the engine cover wont go back on!!!!

If you are going to use a pancake air filter, this will do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Camper-Pa ... :rk:6:pf:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will need to make up a new crankcase to air cleaner pipe using plastic tube and elbows..no kinks..

However you have no flashback protection in case of a backfire.... :shock:

From about here in my 'Stop smoking' thread may be helpful.. :wink:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 5#p8220934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Air- Cooled Bliss.. 8)

Cordialement,

totallyconfused

Many thanks for the info, really helpful and much appreciated.

Hopefully all will go well.

Cheers.

totallyconfused

Hello,

Here is the progress I have made so far....

I have fitted the new distibutor and coil as per the video. I fitted the correct d-ring to the distributor. I posistioned the distributor with the rotor arm roughtly at fire posistion for number one with timing at 8° btdc. I found a single timing mark on the cranshaft pulley. This is TDC. Is thar right?

Disconnected the vacuum advance pipe from the side of the distributor. This should go to the vacumm point on the left side of the carb (looking from the rear of the van) That right? All other vacuum points should be capped off. That right?

Turned the engine over, but it wont start. I have tried turning the distributor to get it to start. Went both ways upto half a turn. No joy. Am kind of stumped now.

I have wired the new coil up as follows....

Positive terminal. Red wire from distributor.
Positive terminal. wire to the fuel cut off and choke.
Positive terminal. Wire to oil sensor.
Positive terminal. Wire from black box (not the idle stabiliser, or control unit). I am assuming this is the feed from the ignition/battery.

Negative terminal. Black wire from distributor.

Does that seem right?

I took the coil lead off the distributor and touched it to the tinware. When engine turned over by starter there was a spark. It looks like there is power going to the distributor.

Any thoughts?!? Silly mistakes?

Many thanks.

sarran1955

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Seems OK so far.. :)

But you have made the job slightly more difficult by not running the engine before changing the dizzy,

ie: you are cranking from cold, and the carb will be on choke... :roll:

However, do not panic,

I have a new powerspark dizzy set up to 8° btdc, and will take a photo to show how the pinch bolt is set.

Just check again that nr 1 piston is at tdc, the rotor arm is pointing to the tdc mark that you have marked on the tinware, which points to nr 1 plug lead,
firing order 1432.

Get the timing right before playing with the carb..

A bientot,

totallyconfused

Merci,

I shall take a look. Will try the pencil down number on pot trick and check my TDC is as it should be. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

Yeah, it will definitely be cold.....after the weekend. It was really cold while I was tinkering. The wind was a blowing.

Thanks alot for the help. Fingers crossed with some more tinkering it will spring into life.

sarran1955

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Here is a photo showing a set square lined up with the clamp barrel nut
The bit of black plastic on the dizzy cap is plug 1

]Image

Hope this helps..

Freezing but radiant sunshine here, there is snow on the ski slopes.. 8)

Cordialement,

totallyconfused

How do,

Made some progress today. I have now got the van running with the new distributor and coil. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

It appears that due to over exuberance on my part the new distributor was not properly engaged with the shaft/slot that turns it. Doh.

I checked the timing mark and top dead centre and made a 8° BTDC mark. I also bought a laser tachometer.

Warmed up the engine....but idle is way too fast (around 1300 revs). I need to slow the tick over down to around 800 revs to set the 8°BTDC with my strobe.

Is that right?

Guessing I have to play with carb Idle screw to reduce revs down to 800, Is that right?

Many thanks, and hope your all having a good weekend.

sarran1955

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

So, once the engine is warmed up, check that the choke ,top brass butterfly, has come completely off, ie vertical.

Check that you can pass a 0.8 or 1.0 mm wire between the bottom butterfly and the bore of the carb. Small adjusting screw, you will need a good quality electrician's screwdriver to engage the screw slot.

Then, carb and dizzy blanked off, you will have to juggle with the idle speed air screw, getting the lowest possible tickover, say 650 rpm, to get your
8° BTDC. A this low speed the engine will run very badly, all you want is to see that the timing mark is correct. Then you can speed the engine a little, then reconnect the vacuum lines, then adjust the idle.

When you recheck the timing at tickover, you will see that it has advanced to about 12°, this is called 'skew', explained in 'Stop Smoking'

Hope this helps,

Aircooled Bliss.. 8)