help with gear lever mechanism

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PaulcT3
80-90 Mem No: 0

help with gear lever mechanism

Post by PaulcT3 »

Hi All

I'm struggling to work out how to sort this gear lever mechanism. Ive installed an AGG engine, having never driven the van before so I cannot comment on how well or badly it performed in the past.

* I've attached the rear section and the movement is horrendous, I would be killing a passenger on every shift with the amount of throw.

* There is no "gate" pattern it just seems to be a stirring mess of pot luck. I have been able to eventually get some gears

* The lever springs about all over the place, it has about as much movement upwards as it does downwards.

* It appears I have a "quick-shift" plate installed (as mentioned in the for sale add for the van).
This seems to lift the mechanism upwards, I assume I need to adjust the collar part to bring the fork back down? In doing so, it seems to remove all tension from the spring.

* When I lowered the mechanism downwards so it sat/slid between the blocks I couldnt get really get any movement it seemed locked in place

* should there be a 3/4th gear guide bracket on the housing?

- For the record I have just overhauled the rear mechanism so my eyes are primarily focused on this lot.

I've read the re-build thread on this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated. Am i missing bits or does it just need an overhaul?

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: help with gear lever mechanism

Post by muttleypup »

My first thought would be to remove the quick shift kit from the gear stick (the spacer plate and the plastic sleeve) and re fix the collar locking it in place on the lower of the drilled detents on the shaft (if in fact there is a higher one as given the position of the gear forks I'd say the kit hasn't been installed properly) This should at least mean you are working with a factory setting at the front.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: help with gear lever mechanism

Post by maxstu »

Also check beneath gear lever rubber boot that rugby ball shaped plate is secured and aligned properly.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".