Oil shooting out of dipstick! Help!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thelyonsfamily
80-90 Mem No: 13468

Oil shooting out of dipstick! Help!

Post by thelyonsfamily »

HI Anyone who can give me some advice...

Have a 1985 T25 Hi top, it did have 1.6 TD engine, which did really well for 2 years and thousands of miles and then head gasket went, so replacement engine put in, 1.9 TD Audi engine with ECU. This has taken a year to sort and finally I got her back but with engine still not working. My ex has abandoned it, I asked some friends to try to help. They eventually got it going but now say that the engine is shooting oil out of the dipstick and that when the engine is revved the dipstick actually flies out....... :shock:

They are no experts but they have said that it must have been a duff engine with internal faults...and no point continuing
I have no clue :(

Does anyone know if this is something that could be fixed?? Is it a big job? How much would it cost to do? Would t be worth it? Or do I just have to come to terms with the fact that she is finished.....

Thank you
Helen

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Oil shooting out of dipstick! Help!

Post by davidoft1 »

A head gasket it a fairly straightforward job, that would have been a quick easy fix, it sounds like the engine is toast, broken piston perhaps

thelyonsfamily
80-90 Mem No: 13468

Post by thelyonsfamily »

The original engine head gasket had already been skimmed I think and then it cracked, but I can't really remember and tbh I don't have a clue :lol:

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

If it starts and runs without any smoke or knocks/noise then it sounds like the crankcase is pressurising, could be piston ring blow-by but check that the crankcase breather isn't blocked/is installed correctly and may be worth draining oil and refilling with correct amount (ignore the dipstick marks), possibly been overfilled. Try a few simple things before writing it off completely.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y