Engine Swap - DG to DJ

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Snowmark
80-90 Mem No: 15217

Re: Engine Swap - DG to DJ

Post by Snowmark »

Pretty sure it’s not from the pulley as I ran my fingers behind and all was dry. Looks to be bottom left of the pump cover - either the nut needs nipping up or the Cyril T gasket didn’t quite work in that corner.

Not a huge problem as I have to drop the engine bar to replace the mounts so not a huge amount more work to get to the pump.
If this is the only problem I encounter I’ll be more than happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1986 1.9DG WBX Autosleeper Hi Top

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Nice work - it’s a great feeling (and relief) when the engine starts up! I’m sure it’ll be an easy fix to sort the leak.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Snowmark
80-90 Mem No: 15217

Post by Snowmark »

That’s the thing - before starting it I’d have worried like hell about the leak, now, because you know exactly what needs unbolting or removing, it’s just a couple of hours work with time for tea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1986 1.9DG WBX Autosleeper Hi Top

volkswin

Post by volkswin »

Hi,

I m just about to embark on the same and swap my DG engine for a DJ.

I have a few questions with regard to the differences between the two if you don't mind.

Oil cooler, did you remove the complete oil cooler unit or blank it off? I have a relatively new water pump on my DG and was thinking of swapping them.

My DJ has a 3 belt pulley on it again was thinking off swapping it with the one of the DG.

Carb I have been advised that it runs well on the standard layout without any mods as well being advised that the carb requires re-jetting?

Any other handy tips much appreciated.

keep the faith

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

No need to rejet the carb, it works nicely as it came off a dg ( let’s assume it ran nicely on you dg )

No need to change the pulley , although the timing marks will be different, so if you plan on using normal unleaded you will need to adjust the timing accordingly

Keep the oil cooler if you possibly can , a new water pump is much cheaper than another engine
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

volkswin

Post by volkswin »

Cheers Steve,

Nothing wrong with the water pump on the replacement dj, just that the plumbing is different.

I want to retain the oil cooler, however i note that the thermostat housings are different on the dj as the DG has no inlet for the outlet hose from the oil cooler.

I have been advised that you can fit a T-piece between the cooler and the thermostat?

regards

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

volkswin wrote:Cheers Steve,

Nothing wrong with the water pump on the replacement dj, just that the plumbing is different.

I want to retain the oil cooler, however i note that the thermostat housings are different on the dj as the DG has no inlet for the outlet hose from the oil cooler.

I have been advised that you can fit a T-piece between the cooler and the thermostat?

regards
I changed the thermostat housing and the waterpump as they have the spigots to accommodate the cooler.
My pal bypassed the cooler with no effect to the engine
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)