Gearbox oil (again)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Gearbox oil (again)

Post by itchyfeet »

bmouthboyo wrote: Thanks Mocki,

thats proof enough of skim reading :lol:
Last edited by itchyfeet on 11 Dec 2018, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

https://www.fuchs.com/fileadmin/schmier ... ter_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth a flick through.

We recently got a Fuchs account, then set about going through ETKA and gathering the part numbers from there and going through TecDoc matching them up and speaking with Fuchs technical.
We're currently using the SAE75W GL4 in gearboxes, that's what crosses over from the vw No of G 060 726 A2.
I've also swapped my AAR gearbox oil to the Fuchs and it's the best it's ever been, was never really been happy with how it behaved with Millers, carplan / carlube / comma were okay but Fuchs FTW
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/gear-oil-t ... e-lsd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you think the prices are a bit off, just say, new supplier and just finding our feet pricewise.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

itchyfeet wrote:
bmouthboyo wrote: Thanks Mocki,

thats proof enough of skim reading :lol:

So sorry itchy feet. I hate using forums on my phone! Lazy reading.
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

Simon Baxter wrote:https://www.fuchs.com/fileadmin/schmier ... ter_EN.pdf

Worth a flick through.

We recently got a Fuchs account, then set about going through ETKA and gathering the part numbers from there and going through TecDoc matching them up and speaking with Fuchs technical.
We're currently using the SAE75W GL4 in gearboxes, that's what crosses over from the vw No of G 060 726 A2.
I've also swapped my AAR gearbox oil to the Fuchs and it's the best it's ever been, was never really been happy with how it behaved with Millers, carplan / carlube / comma were okay but Fuchs FTW
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/gear-oil-t ... e-lsd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you think the prices are a bit off, just say, new supplier and just finding our feet pricewise.

That looks good but adds up when buying 5litres which I think I need for my 4speed DU? Do you sell this in 5L quantities?

Also the oil states GL4 and GL5, does the GL5 not cause the damage to the synchrorings mentioned earlier in the post?

As an alternative anyone have any comments on this one by Mannol? Seems 75w90 Fully Synth but is GL4+
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mannol-Basic ... 1006.m3226

Thanks
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

bmouthboyo wrote:Do is fully synthetic preferred over semi?

The smith and Allen linked above states GL5 in description.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250606606374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

read it again says GL4, GL5 so it's OK £24 for 5L delivered fully synthetic 75W90
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Ciaraneng
80-90 Mem No: 16696

Post by Ciaraneng »

Just reviving this thread as I am getting ready to do a gearbox oil change. Smith and Allan now seem to be selling fully synthetic 75w-90 for just £12.84 + 20% VAT for 5L. Oddly 4 x 5L drums cost £51.36+VAT whereas a 20L drum costs £72.40+VAT! Anyway, this seems like good value even if delivery to Ireland is going to cost me £25. By comparison just 5L of Millers Classic EP 140-GL4 here will cost me €70 or £63.72. I'll probably buy 10L to get me through a couple of changes.

Any thoughts or downsides before I order? Is 4.5 L the right quantity for a 4 Sp Manual Gearbox? Fully Synthetic is better than Semi-Synthetic right?
1983 High Top 1.9 Petrol Early DG Engine

VeraPedroMariaWang
80-90 Mem No: 16998

Post by VeraPedroMariaWang »

This is what Aidan wrote when I thought I had overfilled my gearbox.

A bit overfull will do no harm, if you park nose down you may get a weep from the breather hole so the front of the box will get oily
VW reduced the fill level of the petrol 2wd box for a smoother shift but that exposes the crown and pinion imho so I'd rather have 4 litres in a 2wd box and 4.5 litres in a syncro box, but the only way you can have exactly that volume is to put in measured amount when box is completely empty which will only happen when box is out and has been fully drained or rebuilt, in the van fill to the point when it runs out of the fill hole when it's level, especially important with a Syncro box as there's a 1 way valve in there so if nose up that is closed and it will likely overflow with only 3.5-4 litres in it, I have seen many Syncro boxes with insufficient oil in them either because of that or because garages mistake the published info for 2wd boxes with the less published info for Syncro

:ok
Autosleeper 1.9dg

Ciaraneng
80-90 Mem No: 16696

Post by Ciaraneng »

VeraPedroMariaWang wrote:This is what Aidan wrote when I thought I had overfilled my gearbox.

A bit overfull will do no harm, if you park nose down you may get a weep from the breather hole so the front of the box will get oily
VW reduced the fill level of the petrol 2wd box for a smoother shift but that exposes the crown and pinion imho so I'd rather have 4 litres in a 2wd box and 4.5 litres in a syncro box, but the only way you can have exactly that volume is to put in measured amount when box is completely empty which will only happen when box is out and has been fully drained or rebuilt, in the van fill to the point when it runs out of the fill hole when it's level, especially important with a Syncro box as there's a 1 way valve in there so if nose up that is closed and it will likely overflow with only 3.5-4 litres in it, I have seen many Syncro boxes with insufficient oil in them either because of that or because garages mistake the published info for 2wd boxes with the less published info for Syncro

Great info. Thanks a million.
1983 High Top 1.9 Petrol Early DG Engine

JimmysBob
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by JimmysBob »

Hello Again! Thread revival! gearbox oil is on the long list, have perused this thread and many other but wanted to ask in terms of fully synthetic and semi synthetic, i saw a few comments that fully synthetic is better?

Why is that?

Sorry if i should know this, but i always thought that a semi-synthetic oil (or even mineral) was better in older vehicles but i don't know if this is just because oil tech is so much better than when the manufacturer recommendations were issued?

currently my winner (even though its abit cheaper) is the Comma SX75W/90, i like this because its just GL4 and semi synthetic, i am dubious of gl4/gl5 stuff.

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-SXGL41L- ... 425&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

however if people recommend fully synthetic there are much better quality oil's that are 75W90 GL4 specific!

i just dont want to do an oil change and make it worse
/=========================================>

JimmysBob,

1985 1.7KY Diesel Van, Leamington Spa