Cambelt stripped 1.6 TD

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Berkshire T25
80-90 Mem No: 16849

Cambelt stripped 1.6 TD

Post by Berkshire T25 »

Hi all, before I start doing too much work, I just wanted to check something with you all please.

The cambelt has broken on the 1989 1.6 TD westfalia. Before I take the head off, is this an engine that once this happens the valves will need replacing, or is there enough clearance to not damage them?

Out of curiosity I did turn the engine by hand, and it didn't appear to hit the valves, obviously the cam wasn't moving?

Any help greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks.

Edward.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: Cambelt stripped 1.6 TD

Post by mrhutch »

it's an interference engine.. are you turning the crank with no belt on ?

it will have trashed the valves and maybe cracked a piston unless you have extreme good luck. In that case buy a lottery ticket!
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

It usually bends valves, very rarely anything else, fit a new cambelt, see if it starts and runs ok, if not, pull the head as it will have bent some valves

Berkshire T25
80-90 Mem No: 16849

Post by Berkshire T25 »

Thanks, half way to getting head off, just trying to get fuel pump cam wheel off, then for the exhaust manifold.

Trying to do it in situ, so a testing time!

I thought it would be a case of bent valves, but someone mentioned to me that the engine may have been designed so that wouldn't happen, hence my post.

Quite ironic that only a few weeks ago my daughters 3 cylinder polo had the same issue.

Fingers crossed I can get him going again.

akw
80-90 Mem No: 15829

Post by akw »

Yeah, I'd definitely take the head off and take a look.

The IP sprocket is a pain to remove but I managed it without a puller by using two large flat screwdrivers and prying from opposite ends. It eventually popped off.

Be prepared that the cylinder head may be cracked as they often are. Cracks between the valves are fine but anything around the pre-combustion chambers and the head is scrap. You can get a new head with valves here:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/cylinder-h ... plete.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll also need new cylinder head bolts as they are single use.

If you have a 3 notch head gasket on there it's worth measuring piston protrusion to make sure it's the right thickness. People often slap the biggest one on there to be safe but it lowers the compression if not right.

Check the exhaust manifold for straightness while you have it out, they wrap. It's cheap to get it resurfaced.

Don't overtighten the new timing belt. It'll wear out your im shaft bearings if put too tight.

Fingers crossed the pistons are fine. Good luck!