Metallic tapping coming and going 2.1 in my '86

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JRH
80-90 Mem No: 0

Metallic tapping coming and going 2.1 in my '86

Post by JRH »

Hi all, new to this forum and looking for some ideas please. I have an 86 autosleeper pop top which I have rebuilt pretty extensively. Underneath now B8s and eibachs from Brickwerks along with power flex bushes throughout. Engine built from scratch by Andrew at Campershack - 2.1 with an intercooler and carb, not injection. Just done 1600 miles around southern Ireland and runs fantastically, except... has now developed a metallic tapping noise that I can't work out. It increases with speed and is more noticeable turning right ie round roundabouts but seems to disappear when you dip the clutch. Also, it comes and goes!! I have checked everything underneath, ball joints, drop links, shocks, brakes, callipers etc etc. Nothing from the engine which is great, but am stumped. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Cheers Jon

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Metallic tapping coming and going 2.1 in my '86

Post by Mocki »

Drive shafts and cv s ?
Ireland has very rough roads if you stray off the main highway I found, did for my suspension when I did the WWAW three years ago ..... wishbone bushes , drop links and rear springs all fell foul of the Republic B roads
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

JRH

Post by JRH »

Thanks Mocki. Yes recognise that description, the roads were really bad and I did bottom out a few times but everything underneath is in good shape. Checked the half shafts and cvs and nothing loose or knocking. It started on the way over to Fishguard in the rain on the M4 then stopped the next day and has been on/off every since which makes it even more difficult to pin down. Nothing underneath is obviously loose or worn, I have had it up on a ramp and gone all over it.
Wondered about the clutch or the rear diff given that it stops when I clutch in but am now showing my ignorance...!

Thanks for replying, appreciate it. J.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Definitely CV joint.
it will do this for months and get worse
You won't be able to physically feel anything wrong because the movement is so small
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I was thinking the same, left hand side.

Might be worth having a look to make sure the boot hasn't split and all the grease has gone
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

JRH

Post by JRH »

Thanks for that I will have another look and focus on the CVs. :)

Hopefully you are both right so I can fix it, it's bugging me now...!

Best

Jon

JRH

Post by JRH »

Ok...following both your advice I have repacked the CVs, they were dry...! But not pitted and the gaiters fine. So far seems to have done the job but need to run it for a bit longer to be sure, given the on/off nature of the tapping before.

Either way it needed doing and is another job ticked off. Thanks to both of you for responding it is really appreciated.

J.