Confusion over instructions for timing

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MagicWagon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Confusion over instructions for timing

Post by MagicWagon »

I decided to check the timing on my 83 2.0L Aircooled van going by the haynes manual, but I got a bit confused.
I don''t have the 2 plugs that it says to unplug from the module on the engine bay wall and plug together, so I guess I don't have the electronic version they refer to, although I don't have an points - so that's the first confusion.
It said to make sure the idle speed was correct first, so I set that to about 850/900rpm.
It then said to remove the vacuum hose from the dizzy. There seem to be 2 hoses connected to the dizzy, one on the dizzy itself, and one on a metal something or other connected to the dizzy.
If I disconnect the hose on the actual dizzy, the rpm increases significantly, so is therefore way over the rpm the manual says to set the timing at.
If I disconnect the other hose, nothing much happens.
So which hose should I disconnect ? Should the rpm increase when the hose is removed ? And if so, how can it run at the correct speed for setting the timing.
Thanks.
1983 2.0L Air Cooled Devon Moonraker

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Confusion over instructions for timing

Post by bigherb »

Often the idling speed module has just been removed when it is faulty and the plugs joined together.
The timing is set with the vacuum pipes still connected and set at 5 deg after TDC @ 850 rpm.
Removing the vacuum pipes and the idle speed increasing shows that the distributor vacuum retard diaphragm is working correctly, otherwise, the timing would have to be set a different way.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

Follow this link
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is sure to help
Last edited by JeffRoo on 10 Oct 2018, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

Thanks for the replies. So I can see from the bentley manual it looks like I have the hall generator (maybe they all do, I don't know), and therefore presumably the electronic ignition referred to in the haynes manual. I will check tonight if I have the idle control plugs connected together. If so, I guess it is not really required ?
The only thing after that will be to try and find the timing mark on the pulley which I haven't managed yet.
Looks like that bentley manual might be worth buying, even though it is over 70 quid.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

MagicWagon wrote: The only thing after that will be to try and find the timing mark on the pulley which I haven't managed yet.
The mark is not very large, it is on the inner rim of the pulley, put a dab of white paint on to make it easier to see.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

Ahh, thanks, on the inside of the pulley ! That seems a dumb place to put it.

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

Also, I saw somewhere else saying that you can unplug the vacuum hoses and plug the holes on the dizzy to get a more stable timing mark as otherwise it can wander around. Is there any merit in doing that, and if so, would it still be 5 degrees ATDC ? Cheers.