T3 1.6TD loss of coolant mystery

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pier1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: T3 1.6TD loss of coolant mystery

Post by pier1 »

Nope it's pink coolant!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Pardon? Is the colour in your cooler different to the rest of the system somehow? :lol:
If you have pink coolant in your system, pink is what will come out of the oil cooler.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Could coolant be getting up onto the injection pump bracket because it is being forced out of the vent on top of the coolant top up tank (behind the number plate) Is the level between the min/max marks ?
Maybe remove the cap from this tank after a short drive with the engine still running to see if there is signs of bubbling/ pressure . Beware don’t remove the darlek cap with a hot engine ! ( scalding risk)

pier1

Post by pier1 »

Oldiebutgoodie

Colour is the same (pink) as it was recently changed. Will check the oil cooler area. Thanks

Cecil.

There is the same amount of coolant in the top up container (behind flap) and the level is correct. I've been topping up the expanion bottle (blue cap).

Not sure what this metal plate is (to the left of where the alternator is. Could it be the tappet cover? No oil mixing with water.

I cleaned off the coolant where it collected on the edge of this metal plate (right side under injection pump) Then drove about 140 kms and discovered the coolant had collected in the same spot again. Topped up the expanion container with about a litre of coolant.

thanks for your suggestion which I will do.