Intermittent Power Loss

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ecopod
80-90 Mem No: 0

Intermittent Power Loss

Post by Ecopod »

Good afternoon,

Project Grub Dub is back on track after being too busy for couple of weeks. Passed MOT and have posted pic of pizza oven frame over on 'What did you do to your T25 today' if anyone is interested / wanting a laugh.

Van is intermittently loosing power which feels very much like fuel starvation. I have read though 30/40 pages of past posts and tried most of the remedies but still the same. Starts and idles very well then sometimes when pulling away it dies, other times pulls away fine and then looses power at some point on a run (never done more than 5 miles yet though). I have new tank, lines, filter, recon carb and have tried various blocking of air/vacuum hoses etc and played around with idle screw. Also tried with petrol cap off and have fitted new pump push rod and choke flap seems to operate correctly. So far nothing has made any difference but I'll keep going.

What I haven't done is set the timing (out of not really knowing how to) but will give it a go, could this cause the issues I'm having?

Thanks for any further pointers or advice.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG
4 speed / twin slider bus
Never forget you're unique - just like everyone else

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Intermittent Power Loss

Post by 937carrera »

I was going to suggest timing, get it set and make sure the vac advance is connected properly and working correctly
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Cheers carrera, I'll bite the bullet and attempt to set engine timing for the first ever time. I'll report back later!
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Cheers for the push carrera, just what I needed (again!). As luck would have it my timing gun, that I found in a box of bits with the van didn't work, but I reset everything as per instructions here and started from scratch, turned the dizzy till it sounded better, adjusted the idle and went for a run. Hill starts in forward and reverse no problem, slight hesitancy on acceleration but I'll order up a gun from Amazon or try to get one tomorrow morning and get timing spot on.

Cheers.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Good, with a bit of experience setting by ear generally isn't so far off, if everything else is working. You can already tell that it's better though, so 80-90% done.

The real way to check the dizzy is seeing what the timing goes to under acceleration, wide open throttle. Not easy to do by yourself, but you want to be seeing something like 30-32 degrees of advance. Check the wiki for the settings for your van, taking care to note what the vac connections should be.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Cheers carrera I will do, I can rope in an unwilling volunteer quite easily!
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG