Oh dear, what can of worms awaits?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Oh dear, what can of worms awaits?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I have 2 of these how much damage can I expect in those areas? Likely new arms? I know several people have been there and done that this last year.
Hopefully nothing will get noticed on the MoT and I am loathe to dive in as I only need a couple of months before the new van is born.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Oh dear, what can of worms awaits?

Post by maxstu »

New arms is the obvious route. However much depends on condition of rest of arms and rubber bushes. If turrets the only issue then replace with repair turrets costing around forty quid each. Dead easy welding job and can be sorted without removing arms.
If they are failing in many areas then scrap and buy new. Factor in new bolt set when pricing.
One consideration though...and lm not trying to unwarrantly scare you...is the turrets keep spring in place. Not a good sign to hold in your hand what should be on trailing arm. If the suspension "top out" over a sharp rise then spring could dislodge.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

In my case the arm itself was fairly good when the stop fell off. Just had to drill the spotwelds of the spring seat, clean and treat surface rust under it and weld the repair panel back. I did it on the other side too. That was even better.
The arms had no rust anywhere else
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Oldiebut goodie

I'm only using her a couple of miles at a time around town, going by the state of them it has been a long time since they served any function whatsoever. Their function is more of a bump stop than anything else as it is where the rubber bump stop used to make contact so I am not particularly concerned as a safety issue other than what is going on underneath the spring seat.
Having just done the rear brakes ( the reason that I found them) over several days due to the arthritis calling a halt to proceedings all the time I really don't want to tackle anything else for a while. I will replace the whole lot if needs must, it just that my body is getting too decrepit for much physical work like that so takes a long time.
Annoyingly I recently gave my backup car to my brother who has just driven it to Yugoslavia, so I need it on the road. I won't be doing anything else travel wise as I am waiting to play with the new van whenever VW build the blooming thing.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

george2490
80-90 Mem No: 14339

Post by george2490 »

Hopefully only the mounts need done. On mine the arms had dissolved, as you may remember.
Onwards and upwards!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
2.0 CU

Oldiebut goodie

Yes - it is the horror stories that fill me with dread about looking into it too deeply yet.
headinsand.jpg
headinsand.jpg (11.76 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶