Engine Mounts (and other problems)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine Mounts (and other problems)

Post by mike9009 »

Evening all,

Just doing a bit of pre-investigative work. Having been into France for two weeks this summer and running lovely during the entire trip, my van has started playing up. I suspect the issues are linked.

When I brake, it sounds like one (or more) engine mounts have gone. I get a large 'clonking' noise from the rear. (sounds similar to when my vx220 engine mounts had failed!) At the same time, my engine stalls every time I come to a rest. Is it possible that the engine movement is causing the running issue? Does the engine move this much? Kinking pipes, or similar?

I have the van booked in at my local garage in a couple of weeks to investigate.

TIA

Mike
1982 Autohomes 2.0CU with twin Webers.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Re: Engine Mounts (and other problems)

Post by scottbott »

I replaced my engine mounts a couple of years ago as I thought the engine was rocking a lot when ticking over and they were well shagged when I got the old ones out, hardly any rubber holding together it made a huge difference when replaced, they were probably the original ones I suspect
Nil carborundum illegitimi

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

Thanks for the reply. Did you get any running issues when the negine mounts were failing?

Mike

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

no, just a wobbly engine at tickover
Nil carborundum illegitimi

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

Just to update this.... and show my complete inexperience with these things :)

The engine mounts were reaplced. The running issue got worse and worse to the point it felt like it was only firing on two cylinders most the time.

There was masses of fuel being ejected out the exhaust and frequent stalling. It took about 2 gallons of fuel to drive 3 miles!

It transpired that the float chambers in one carb had gone porous, thus allowing too much fuel through. The oil had turned to water and the spark plugs were drenched as the oil by-passed the pistons. The hydraulic tappets no longer functioned as intened. In general quite a mess - but all solved now thanks to a knowledgable local garage. (and another who weren't quite so efficient :( )

As a word or warning this was on my four year old Twin Webers which I have raved about! :)

I am just glad this did not happen whilst we were in France on holiday!! All running well again now and looks good too after a decent clean, having spent too much time at the first garage sat under a tree.

Mike