Heating off to the right?!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

D34dR4bb17
80-90 Mem No: 16516

Heating off to the right?!

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

I didn't think anything of this until I checked the manual, the heating in our van is off when the B lever is all the way to the right, when left should be off.

I did think it was strange as if you move it a little to the left from the far right position it gets very hot. All the way to the left is just warm, but not off.

What's the best way to check to see what's going on here?

Cheers,
Andrew

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Re: Heating off to the right?!

Post by nevill3 »

The valve that controls the flow of hot water to the heater matrix is located above the gear selector box behind/above the spare wheel. The boden cable from the dashboard control lever operates a lever that opens and closes the valve. I was making changes to my van when I inadvertently moved a jubilee clip that secured the heater pipes and it restricted the movement of my lever preventing the valve from fully closing. If I remember the set up correctly if your lever has been mounted towards the front of the van it would operate in reverse. My lever is facing the rear of my van
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

D34dR4bb17

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

Ok cool thanks. I'll check that out. When you say the lever facing front or back, I presume you're referring to the one under the van operating the water flow?

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Yes the one under the van, when your control lever in the cab is set to off or cool the one under the van should obviously close the valve, maybe a trial and error approach would ensure the correct setting. I think it is a simple ball valve that rotates a ball( with a hole in it) inside the tube so it can be adjusted to ensure the flow of water is totally shut off when the lever on the dash is set to off.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

D34dR4bb17

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

Great thanks