Cracked head, Three years and now another problem.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Cracked head, Three years and now another problem.

Post by 123-jn »

About three years ago I built a 2.1 DJ in on old suffix A case, reusing the heads from the same engine and the liners with a set of pistons and a crank from a broken cased DJ. Shortly after putting this in the van I had several problems one being a head leak on the drivers side under the rear top head bolt. I thought this was a yellow stuff failure so I drained the engine and re sealed the nut and retorqued it. It was no better. Eventually I discovered that the water was welling up from an invisible crack which starts where the nut mating face steps up and runs down towards the plug hole. Anyway , I replaced this head. Now after almost 3 years of great service the passenger side head has gone in exactly the same place, not so bad yet but cracked along the back of the nut mating face on the same side as on the other head. Again I hoped it was a yellow stuff failure so I have tried using dirko to no avail!! Has anyone else ever had a head fail in this position? I can't believe both in the same place!!
MOT this weekend , hope it lasts!!
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Re: Cracked head, Three years and now another problem.

Post by 123-jn »

Well past the Mot no advisories, emissions 0.7 CO at idle and very pleased. Left a fair bit of coolant under the ramps!!! Engine now out again to replace left hand cracked head with new one from BW. Very tempted to put a new one on the right as well but cost prohibitive!!! While I'm at it I can sort the oil pump cover leaking and change the fuel hoses again!! Ps never forget to undo the 3 torque convertor bolts before pulling the engine off the box!! I wonder how I know?
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi