Water jacket seal.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Paul Southworth
80-90 Mem No: 10171

Water jacket seal.

Post by Paul Southworth »

Hi all, just had ten lovely days camping in Holland, however on final day I noticed water dripping from engine, I checked all rubber hoses and couplings but could find nothing. I rang for help, when the brake down man came (3 hour wait, another story) he told me the leak was coming from the black seal between engine.
He advised us to get to the ferry and keep topping her up. We made the ferry with a minute to spare. I nursed her home the following day.
My question is what sort of a job is it to replace? Engine out I presume and would probably do both sides to be sure?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Paul.
1988 1.9 DG Autosleeper Trooper.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Water jacket seal.

Post by Mocki »

Yep, it’s engine out ( you can do it in, but it takes longer and is more likely to end in tears .)
It’s the head studs that will be the issue, a 50/50 chance one or more may snap when undoing them, or doing them back up .... it’s a risk we all have to take with a WBX .
Exhaust studs are also a major bad point , but with the right tools shouldn’t be terminal .....

There is soooo much about this subject , if you haven’t already , have a good read up .
Don’t fall into the trap of garages that either don’t know, or don’t want to know either, if you can do it your self it’s only a £300 parts job ( plus what ever other parts you may need depending on condition and bad luck)
And I’d replace the clutch , input shaft seal and crank oil seal while it’s out and the starter ollite bush in the bell housing while you can see it
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Paul Southworth

Thanks Steve for the invaluable advice. I’m not much of a mechanic myself and don’t have the luxury of a drive or garage so will shop around. I’m looking on the bright side and hoping too have a nice refurbished engine in the spring. It’s lucky it happened now so I can have her fixed over the winter.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Well, and I wouldn't normally recommend something like this, but Holts radweld stopped my leak. Obviously the right course is to sort the leak but if its coming out in the Spring, I'd go for it. At the moment you'll probably find it only leaks as it cools down, not on the road so you could just top up each day. As it heats up, the gap normally closes. ;)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Paul Southworth

Hi, a quick update regarding the leak.
After reading the posts regarding a leak like this I decided to give K-seal ago, after all I thought I had nothing to lose. I poured it in and have run the van for around 100 miles, hey presto no more leaking!
I am aware that this leak could come back again or even get worse but for now I think the K-seal did the job.