KY engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

George22
80-90 Mem No: 13035

KY engine

Post by George22 »

What’s the KY Diesel engine like to live with?

I’ve the opportunity of a van which bodily seems ok (unlike the one I’ve just parted with after 6 years) but has the KY engine - but it has done a low mileage- the VW heritage site seems a bit sniffy about it generally. I’m not after blistering performance and can’t afford to do any engine upgrades straight away if I go for it

Experiences so far have been with a 1.9 DG which I really liked

The KY does have a full service history

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Re: KY engine

Post by fazzer »

I had a 1700ky van even though it was very slow best was 50mph,it was reliable and great on fuel but terrible to drive on long journeys(felt like it was a long journey)so I sold it on was ok for local driving.But on the upside you would have parts required for 1y upgrade in future.

Stubbsie
80-90 Mem No: 16617

Re: KY engine

Post by Stubbsie »

I have a KY engined, 5 speed high top, and m.p.g. is very good.
Van is happy to sit at 55- 60, but it is fairly 'busy' at the 60mph end, and if you just mention the word ''hill'', it immediately starts to slow down.
It can be a bit embarrassing at times. You have to accept that even 50cc mopeds will beat you away from the lights, and leave you standing until you get into 4th gear and past 35mph!
Parts are increasingly hard to come by, but I do find it very reliable, and its starts, without fail, on the button.
I removed the snorkle air intake, and fitted a K&N, and I'd like to think it was a little livelier, and just a little quieter.
Probably a bit late to reply here, but only just seen this.