Intermittent non-start and stalling - sorted

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Intermittent non-start and stalling - sorted

Post by Ralf85 »

The last few months have been a pain. The van has been to the garage several times to try and resolve my intermittent stalling problem, which only occurred after stopping for 10-20 minutes and then re-starting. Drive away, then within a couple of hundred yards the engine cut out. It never happened when the garage checked. Eventually, I had a non-starting problem, which was dealt with by jiggling the choke mechanism.
It didn't stop us going to France this Summer and we had a great holiday. Until the day before we came home. Stopped on a motorway rest area, drove away then the engine cut out again on the slip road. We were taken off the motorway. A couple of hours later at a VW garage, they went over to my van turned the key and it started straight away.
We then got home with no further problems. However, the van would not start after that. It was clear that the carb was knackered.
I had had enough. Tracked down the only new old stock Solex 34 PICT5 carb in France, (ironically If I had a DG engine installed instead of a DF I could have bought a new Pierberg carb off the shelf from Brickwerks). Bit the bullet and bought a new quality fuel pump from Brickwerks and hey presto the starting/stalling problems have been resolved. Off camping this weekend. :ok

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Re: Intermittent non-start and stalling - sorted

Post by scottbott »

glad you got it sorted, pain in the backside problems like that when it works fine at the repairers and plays up when not there
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Intermittent non-start and stalling - sorted

Post by Ralf85 »

Exactly Gordon. When we stopped over at John's place in France (Sarran 1955) it started first time on the morning we left. He said "what's the problem?". Arrrrgh! It was a pain starting every day after that.
I've just returned from visiting friends. It was great to feel it start first time again today. Tomorrow I'm off camping to White Mark Farm again for a couple of nights down the M40, to give the van a run out, feed the Red Kites and enjoy a few pints of ale.