DG Distributor - non starter

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

DG Distributor - non starter

Post by ash1293 »

Well I thought while I was tinkering today by running some trailer wire front to back for sensors etc I would also fit the new distributor shaft seal as mine was weaping. Small job i thought and one that I have been meaning to do for a while.

Anyway, with new seal it was a tight fit but a gentle tap and it appeared to seat well. Dizzy had been marked up and was repositioned and tightened up.
Would she start? Would she.........

Popped the dizzy cap off and cranked - rotor not turning, or it would turn once and stop.

Took dizzy back out - gear in engine still turns as you crank engine by hand so don't suspect anything there.

Dizzy shaft turns ok when removed from van - ie top connected to bottom and not snapped.

Back in making sure it is seated all the way home before tightening - just the same again.

One thing I did do which I'm not sure would have affected it is blow it out with compressed air as thought it may have been damp. Could something have become dislodged?

1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: DG Distributor - non starter

Post by bigherb »

If the distributor is definitely fully down and the offset drive dogs are aligned correctly then check the fibre washer has not broken and come out, the spring then pushes the distributor shaft up too far and can come out of engagement.

Between the drive dog and the base of the distributor, there should be two thin metal shims and a fibre washer between the shims.

One with the dog removed showing how the shims are arranged.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

When its tapped home, you usually need to rotate it very slightly to make sure dizzy base engages correctly in slot. Chances are it wasn't fully seated ;)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Thanks both for your replies however I have just come back in from having a bloody good chat to her.

Repeated process but this time ignored the mark on the dizzy I thought I had made and set it up from scratch. TDC then lined rotor with notch in dizzy case, cap back on and fired up pretty much straight away. Set the timing by ear as my timing gun appears to have gone walkies so will have to do until a new one arrives.

It has however highlighted a blow at the cast elbow of my recently renewed system.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop