Insufficient vacuum for spark retard

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matteo
80-90 Mem No: 16689

Insufficient vacuum for spark retard

Post by matteo »

Hi,

I'm working on a 2.0l a/c engine with Solex PDSIT34 carbs.
Whilst running at idle there is a vacuum signal from the hose that connects to the distributor retard but dis/connecting makes zero difference on the timing. I'm fairly sure the distributor is good as a manual suck on the pipe moves the baseplate and it was working previously. All vacuum pipes/rubber elbows on central idling circuit are sound. The vacuum is perhaps a bit weak so my question is: Is there a correct value for the vacuum and can I measure with a gauge of some sort?

The source of the problem could be the that throttle valve basic setting is incorrect (although I've carefully followed Haynes to <0.1mm open from closed). A photo of the left hand carb throttle valve attached. Does anyone know if the hole marked in the photo should be completely covered (to create better vacuum?) or does this look right?
Am I missing something altogether perhaps :?:
Any thoughts appreciated :)

basic throttle setting.jpg
basic throttle setting.jpg (132.64 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
1980 2l CU Aircooled; left-hand drive - now officially a historic vehicle!

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: Insufficient vacuum for spark retard

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

If you can pass a 0.8 mm mig welding wire between the butterfly and the venturi, with the carb in the fully warmed up idle position,
and the choke step cam is completely off the step, then you should be good... :wink:

As for the vacuum signal, it should read about 5 mm hg of depression, at about 800prm, distributor disconnected..

To see the gauges, this may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qayyc9Z4E0&t=3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and then..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsfo5ATgBp0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Air-Cooled Bliss... 8)

Cordialement,

:ok

matteo

Post by matteo »

Hi Sarran and thanks for the videos (as always!)

With a warm engine and the chokes completely off the cams then I was working to <0.1mm (as per Haynes). Isn't the 0.8mm spec for when on the fast idle cams?

I'm going to source one of those vacuum gauges so I can get a better idea of vacuum condition.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

matteo wrote: Isn't the 0.8mm spec for when on the fast idle cams?
Yes, and it is should be 0.65mm.

Bypass the hose that goes to the air filter and check again, sometimes the thermostat or the preheat diaphragm can leak and suck in air.
You are better getting a vac pump. You can use it for checking vacuum and creating vacuum and checking for air leaks or working the vac advance retard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Vacuum- ... Sw5UZZAEp2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

matteo

Post by matteo »

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that to eliminate a potential leak but no difference.

I continued by closing the throttle basic adjustment (ie warm and off choke) right down towards fully closed and hey presto the retard started working as expected! :)
I think the advance was coming into play at idle to counteract the retard signal.