White Smoke...

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: White Smoke...

Post by 937carrera »

Ciaraneng wrote: I see what you mean. This one from nesty on that thread looks a bit like mine so it may be original...

Yep, his is an '83 too, so early cooling system and case, if you still have the original engine fitted
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Ciaraneng
80-90 Mem No: 16696

Re: White Smoke...

Post by Ciaraneng »

A bit of an update: I got my compression test kit yesterday and got to work today. All seems relatively OK. Getting 8.5 to 9 bar (125 to 135 psi) on all 4 pistons versus a wear limit of 8 bar for a DG engine according to the Haynes manual. I was expecting much worse. Would these kinds of compression results warrant a change of piston seals normally?

Also, no smoke on start-up today or last night but had some after a minute or so on restart just now. Really seems to be intermittent. My latest theory is that the coolant leak might be just affecting one cylinder and if the engine stops with that piston in the top position, you don't get much water ingress. Also got my tacho but still waiting for the oil pressure test kit I ordered.

Still in two minds whether to take on a stripdown. I guess I'll see what the oil pressure looks like first. That will determine how far I go. Sorely tempted to just do a set of head seals but guess I should do the piston and oil seals also...
1983 High Top 1.9 Petrol Early DG Engine