Wrong Rocker Cover on JX?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

si macc
80-90 Mem No: 8124

Wrong Rocker Cover on JX?

Post by si macc »

I had my original JX engine replaced a few years ago now. I've got an oil leak I'm investigating and going from the top of the engine to the bottom looking for it. I've noticed a bit of oil from around the rocker cover breather valve and saw a bit of a bodge to connect the breather to the rocker cover. It's connected with a short bit of rubber pipe and a couple of hose clips, which I've now tightened. This didn't look right so ordered a proper gromet from brickwerks, went to change last night and noticed there is a pipe on the rocker cover and not a hole to fit the gromet on? Meant to take a photo of the rocker cover but the Mrs called for dinner and got a a bit blinkered thinking about food and forgot. Leads me to think (especially from the research on various forums I've done) that I have the wrong rocker cover which doesn't fit properly and therefore leaking as it appears to be oily around the inlet manifold and wondering if it's dripping from the rocker cover.

Next problem I've got is I can't find a rocker cover replacement, JK and brickwerks don't stock (well not at the moment) and the only one I can find is £70 on ebay for a restored one which seems a little steep?
T25 Westfalia Poptop 1.6TD JX

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Wrong Rocker Cover on JX?

Post by RogerT »

I’d also be asking if you have the baffle plate under the rocker cover? Can’t help on where to get stuff though, maybe get a part no and search for that?
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

si macc

Post by si macc »

The thought had crossed my mind as to what I might find under there! Only one way to find out I guess. Probably not a job until after the summer is over, got a weeks holiday in late sept and don't want to open a can of worms before then. Got to source the parts anyway which might take a while.

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Pictures on Eula show 2types with either a short pipe (as yours) or a hole.

si macc

Post by si macc »

That sounds promising, I'm not familiar with Eula could you put a link?

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Does this help.https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+ ... /103-5030/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

si macc

Post by si macc »

R0B wrote:Does this help.https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+ ... /103-5030/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Rob, very helpful. I've notice the one with the pipe has no breather valve, my one does have one so you could assume this isn't needed? Guess I won't know for sure until I remove and see what's underneath? This page says T2, is this accurate or a guide? I will post a photo as soon as I get home.

jacko1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jacko1967 »

Put some pics on of what you have and what you want I have one somewhere in garage .mine also leaked just needed tightening up it was leaking onto the exhaust manifold which was hard to see mine never had an oil deflector in so I put one in

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

si macc

Post by si macc »

jacko1967 wrote:Put some pics on of what you have and what you want I have one somewhere in garage .mine also leaked just needed tightening up it was leaking onto the exhaust manifold which was hard to see mine never had an oil deflector in so I put one in

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Will do, nice one :ok

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Eula? Bleedin autocorrect! Etka! But you’ve been sorted out by others :ok

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

The page is correct our vans are T2s as are splits and bays.

This page says T2, is this accurate or a guide?
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

si macc

Post by si macc »

Didn’t get a chance to post over the weekend. Had a look yesterday and took a photo. Looks like it is the one in the diagram above with the pipe coming out of it. Tightened the rubber pipe on the pipe on the rocker cover but still oil seeping from there. Anyone know of a better way to connect rocker cover to breather in this setup or does this look sufficient? Wondering if the oil deflector is not installed as this doesn’t seem normal? Thought it might have stopped oil leak just tightening this pipe but no luck unfortunately! May take it off to inspect and replace gasket, have one in the shed somewhere as bought one ages ago but never used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk