t25 running lumpy / kangaroo

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wayno
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: t25 running lumpy / kangaroo

Post by wayno »

LOL, yep ive seen the same utube clip, after I fitted the new fuel push rod into the housing ( I took the old one out and it was 99.6mm, I even changed that) I gave the outer diameter a good scrubbing with emery cloth before replacing it and it seemed to slide in nice and freely with a tiny bit of play. The problem is going to be something but nothing and rather than be frustrated I'm determined to sort it.
Text my mate and hes got a decent dizzy so I'm going to try that next
Wayno

wayno

Post by wayno »

LOL yep ive seen the same utube clip and did it when I fitted the new push rod ( 99.6mm but I still changed it)
Frustrated, yes. Determined, you bet.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Dont be shy of carb rebuild. Your van will likely need on anyway :lol:
Excellent clip attached. I used it to do my vans carb...and lm not particularly mechanically mind. Its in Wiki here.
Good luck

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKD6ci8o06w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

wayno

Post by wayno »

Hi there, yep just watched it, James Akers, he makes it look pretty simple and I like the bit where the water pipe assembly can stay on so I'm not messing around with the water system. Going to do it when I get a little quality time, possibly at the week end. I can order the rebuild kit in the meantime and keep watching the clip so I'm fully confident
ps,,,,,, LOL, I teach engineering for a living so what could possibly go wrong :) :) :) :)

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

wayno wrote: ps,,,,,, LOL, I teach engineering for a living so what could possibly go wrong :) :) :) :)

:ok
Im a part time decorator and l did mine without any worries. Only minor issue is kit likely will be covering a few models and have spare bits. I followd JA' s clip too and probably would not have attempted full rebuild without his video.

Good luck.
Stuart
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

maxstu wrote:
wayno wrote: ps,,,,,, LOL, I teach engineering for a living so what could possibly go wrong :) :) :) :)

:ok
Im a part time decorator and l did mine without any worries. Only minor issue is kit likely will be covering a few models and have spare bits. I followd JA' s clip too and probably would not have attempted full rebuild without his video.
And do set flap as he shows. Most important l believe.

Good luck.
Stuart
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Yet l can easily balls up an E D I T :roll: :rofl
MaxStu

wayno

Post by wayno »

:ok Nice one, thanks for the info
wayno

wayno

Post by wayno »

just incidentally, is it best to remove the whole carb from the manifold or can I get away with just splitting top and bottom sections and clean thoroughly with carb cleaner
Wayno

VWKat
80-90 Mem No: 13186

Post by VWKat »

I had a similar problem and it was the Hall Sender in the Distributor.
Can you tell if it's electrical or mechanical/Fuel problem? If it's electrical, switching the engine off and on again might solve the problem temporarily. Then that might point to a dodgy distributor.
Early 1985 1.9 WBX Autosleeper Camper

wayno

Post by wayno »

Well when it first happened the nice AA man told me he suspected an earth fault, he rerouted several of the earths and over the next day or so I renewed the rest, this was only in the engine bay though. Ive not changed the big earth strap from the gear box to the mainframe.
The problem persisted and because of the lumpy running symptoms I rightly or wrongly suspected it was more to do with the fuel supply so looking at recent posts you can see what ive done so far. I thought id cracked it when I took off the inline fuel filter and it was absolutely filthy but new one fitted and no difference.
The hall sender unit the actual distributor and the carb are the only components that ive not touched apart to take of the air pan, take out the only jet I can get to and clean it all using compressed air.
When I unplugged the sender unit it was wet inside with what looked like fine oil and I thought it might be arcing across the pins, I cleaned and dried it thoroughly and the problem continued, ive sent for the brickwerks carb rebuild kit but don't really want to touch that until its a last resort
I'm getting stuck :(
wayno

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

that sounds similar to the problem I had. I pretty much changed everything and lastly the Distributor. :roll: Have you checked for any electrical leaks? you may see them by looking at the engine in the dark with the engine running. You could have a cracked distributor cap or dodgy ignition leads.

wayno

Post by wayno »

Thanks for that, ill try anything, what is more frustrating is the fact that were not getting off at the weekends, we have missed just 4 in the past year, the weathers changing a bit which doesn't really bother us but I need to sort it. I know more about the bus than I thought I ever would and I'm determined to get it back on the tarmac
wayno

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

well, at least your gearbox isn't out sitting on a work bench :(

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Looks an interesting challenge.

Can you think a bit more about under what circumstances the misfire occurs.

eg
Does it never do it until the van is warmed up. Time dependent or temperature dependent. Where does the temp gauge read
Is there a pattern to the misfire, throttle position, on level roads, uphill, downhill, turning left / right
When it clears does it suddenly clear, or just gradually improve
What happens if you lift off and then reapply the throttle
Any change in the exhaust output or colour

Have you actually removed the jets to clean them or just put carb cleaner down ? I had an issues earlier this year with my Weber carb. Another poster had similar issues in the past week and the same cleaning of the jets worked http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=165352
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine