Snapped front hand brake cable. 2WD

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Chalawandan
80-90 Mem No: 16514

Snapped front hand brake cable. 2WD

Post by Chalawandan »

So set off for a road trip, hand brake cable sheared off at the equaliser. Not sure but thin garage might have put it on wrong way wound (wasn't really paying full attention when I went under and got the equaliser out) after recent brake job. If they had it'd explain the shear force.
Sunday, no GSF. Toolstation: hack saw, m6 threaded bar, m6 coupling nut. £5 all in.
Cut cable a little way down and stuck it together: Image
Never know, might last years, but then again...
anyone changed front cable? Easy job? The forums a bit thin and the wiki hasn't much, seems to be some of chat about lowering petrol tank. Not in Haynes though. Everywhere seems sold out of OEM cables... any advice on changing the cable would be welcome.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 1.9DG Holdsworth V3 Poptop - “Bianca”
Golf, Touran, LWB T4 Caravelle, ‘79 1.8 Tintop T2 - “Smurf”, Mk1 Polo - “Ralph”

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Snapped front hand brake cable. 2WD

Post by multisi »

Brickwerks have genuine vw front available but expensive, its a tank down job due to the plastic guide block needing to be prised down from its body clip. If you do take the tank out then think about the other things that need checking when its out .
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

I performed the tube nut repair many years ago on ours and swapped all the handbrake cables this March when everything was off underneath the van.

Genuine cable is available here ..

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/b ... ne-vw.html

There is a guide block which is captive on the genuine cable which clips into the body above the fuel tank ... you can see it about 1/3 of the way back from the boot.

Cheers, Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Chalawandan wrote:...................... after recent brake job.....................

Too late for Chalawandan now but hopefully to help others:

The nut gets rusted on the threaded bit, so when adjusting the handbrake it's easy to partially wring the neck of the thread by forcing it. Once weakened it will break. When I get a stiff one (ooh er!) I either cut the nut off, or stretch it by squashing it across the flats, rather than forcing it. Then use a new nut.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.