Rubbish starter motor

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

t3convert
80-90 Mem No: 16325

Rubbish starter motor

Post by t3convert »

I finally got my 87 t3 1.9 petrol going about six months ago, having cut a hole in the front panel just to adjust up the clutch pedal, and although it's only done a couple of short trips it's been great. However, trip number 3 doesn't look like it's going to happen just yet because the starter motor (which I bought "new" off the internet and only fitted less than a year ago) has packed up. I'm taking it off tomorrow and having it bench tested but I fear the worst. Can anyone recommend a good quality starter motor for this van ?

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Rubbish starter motor

Post by RogerT »

I wonder if it might be helpful if you put up your symptoms? It might not be the starter, more likely the trigger wire to the starter solenoid. Let us know how the problem developed - what was it like before, was it intermittent at all, etc etc
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: Rubbish starter motor

Post by mshaw1980 »

I have a starter motor for one of these that started my van about 5 times before I did a Subaru replacement. It's Bosch, £50 posted
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)