5 speed linkage setup with short shifter fitted

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

5 speed linkage setup with short shifter fitted

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi all

I know I have asked a few questions around this subject but really baffled by this one so need expert help.

So I have fitted the short shifter, then aligned the gearstick pivot base with the two holes that the Haynes manual mentions for an 87 petrol van.

Under the van I have around 10mm of the splined joint showing. Neutral on the box and neutral on the gearstick. The bracket which holds the bush on the gearbox is nearest the front of the van so thats correct. Now as the short shifter is fitted the fork on the bottom of the stick no longer makes contact with the aluminium guide blocks which is to be expected based on raising the stick.

The problem is now it doesn't feel like any gears are selected. When you select any gear the stick pops back to neutral as the forks no longer rest on the guide blocks. So you have no idea if it's in gear and what gear it is in.

What is going on. This is really getting frustrating. Have to take it for it's Manx MOT this week so need to test drive on Monday. I had gears before the short shifter although I don't believe it was adjusted bang on as 3rd to 2nd was hit and miss.

I am not a numpty when it comes to mechanics but this is really making a fool out of me. Wanna enjoy the van and not be put off by rubbish linkage setting.Need help please :(
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Re: 5 speed linkage setup with short shifter fitted

Post by jamesakers »

The forks should still be in contact with the guides. When fitting it did you drill a new indent for the grub screw further up the stick using the sleeve?

Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: 5 speed linkage setup with short shifter fitted

Post by mshaw1980 »

Doh!

What a plank I am. I think I have tightened the grub screw in the old indent. It's been a tough week at work.

Thanks for helping with my stupidity :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)